|Bishop of Bath and Wells|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bath and Wells|
|Other posts||Clerk of the Closet|
Bishop of Warrington
|Born||6 September 1921|
Canterbury, Kent, England, United Kingdom
|Died||29 January 2018 (aged 96)|
Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
John Monier Bickersteth  (6 September 1921 – 29 January 2018) was an English Anglican clergyman who served as the Bishop of Bath and Wells from 1975 to 1986, and Clerk of the Closet from 1979–1989.
Bickersteth descends from a clerical family over several generations; in total six family members have been Church of England Bishops. His father was Canon Edward Monier Bickersteth, and his mother, Inez Katharine Jelf/Bickersteth, was a friend of the actress Sybil Thorndike. His uncle was Julian Bickersteth and his great-great-grandfather was Charles James Blomfield.
Educated at Rugby School and Christ Church, Oxford, he was ordained in 1951 and began his career with a Curacy at St Matthew Moorfield's Bristol. After a spell as Vicar of St Stephen's Church, Chatham he ascended to the Episcopate in 1970 as Suffragan Bishop of Warrington, and after five years was further promoted to Bath. From 1979 he was Clerk of the Closet for a decade. Bickersteth died in January 2018 at the age of 96.
- —; Dunning, Robert W. (1991). Clerks of the Closet in the Royal Household: Five Hundred Years of Service to the Crown. Stroud, Gloucestershire Wolfeboro Falls, NH: Alan Sutton Publishing. ISBN 978-0-86299-873-8. OCLC 28115550. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Debrett's People of Today: Ed Ellis,P (1992, London, Debtrett's) p 1621 ISBN 1-870520-09-2
- Run O’ The Mill Bishop by John Bickersteth (Capella Archive) Biografische Angaben (Tablet Archive vom 17. September 2005)
- Who's Who 1992 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3514-2
- Tweet from the Diocese of Salisbury
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|