|Born||1972 (age 46–47)|
Buffalo, New York, U.S.
|Education||University at Buffalo, (BA, JD)|
John Leonard Sinatra Jr. (born 1972) is an American attorney who is currently a partner in the Buffalo, New York, law firm of Hodgson Russ. He is a nominee to become a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York.
Education and career
Sinatra received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1993 from the University at Buffalo. He received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1996 from the University at Buffalo Law School. He was a law clerk for the New York Court of Appeals from 1996 to 1998. Sinatra litigated at Jones Day, then was appointed to the General Counsel Office of the United States Department of Commerce, where he was the third ranking lawyer in the 400 attorney department. He then came to Hodgson Russ LLP, currently serving as a partner in the firm's Buffalo, New York, office.
Nomination to district court
On May 15, 2018, Sinatra was nominated by President Donald Trump to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York, to the seat vacated by Judge William M. Skretny, who took senior status on March 8, 2015. Sinatra was recommended to President Trump by United States Representative Chris Collins and his nomination was agreed to by United States Senator Chuck Schumer. On August 1, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On September 13, 2018, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 16–5 vote.
On January 3, 2019, his nomination was returned to the President under Rule XXXI, Paragraph 6 of the United States Senate. On April 8, 2019, President Trump announced the renomination of Sinatra to the district court. On May 21, 2019, his nomination was sent to the Senate. On June 20, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 16–6 vote. His nomination is currently pending before the full United States Senate.
- "John L. Sinatra, Jr". www.hodgsonruss.com.
- "Attorney John L Sinatra Jr - Lawyer in Buffalo NY". www.lawyercentral.com.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Fourteenth Wave of Judicial Nominees, Thirteenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees, and Eighth Wave of United States Marshal Nominees".
- Zremski, Jerry (May 10, 2018). "Trump formally nominates Sinatra as federal judge in WNY". Buffalo News. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Schumer agrees to Sinatra appointment as federal judge". 9 May 2018.
- "Fifteen Nominations and One Withdrawal Sent to the Senate Today" White House, May 15, 2018
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – September 13, 2018 Senate Judiciary Committee
- "Trump Drops Obama Picks, N.Y., Calif. Names From Judges List". Bloomberg Law. January 23, 2019. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Judicial Nominations", White House, April 8, 2019
- "Twelve Nominations Sent to the Senate", The White House, May 21, 2019
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – June 20, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: John L. Sinatra Jr.
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|