Johnny Cash (song)
|Single by Jason Aldean|
|from the album Relentless|
|Released||February 5, 2007|
|Jason Aldean singles chronology|
"Johnny Cash" is a song co-written by John Rich, Vicky McGehee and Rodney Clawson. It was originally recorded by Tracy Byrd on his 2005 Greatest Hits album, but not released as a single. The song was covered by American country music artist Jason Aldean, and his version was released as the first single from his 2007 album Relentless and the fourth single of his career. Aldean's version also became his fourth (consecutive) Top 10 hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart with a peak at number 6.
"Johnny Cash" is an up-tempo song in which the narrator addresses his lover, inviting her to join him on a road trip to Las Vegas. The connection to singer Johnny Cash is made only in the chorus ("Blastin' out the Johnny Cash"), indicating that Cash's music will be played while the narrator and his lover are on their road trip. The song also makes several references to a number of Cash's songs.
Brody Vercher of Engine 145 said that the song is "a good pick-me up song for those looking to get the blood flowing before a workout." Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a C- grade. He said that the song "doesn’t even have a melody, with Aldean yelling through most of the record as if he’s straining to be heard over the loud production." 
The music video takes place in places around Las Vegas, and features Jason Aldean and his band playing in a "famous" Las Vegas courtyard where many non-working neon signs and such are placed (this area has been used in several other country videos as well), as well as scenes of him and his lover driving around the adjacent desert roads during the day, and on the strip at night, ending with a shot of Jason kicking a footlight out in front of him, a reference to the famous Cash incident in which he did so at the Grand Ole Opry in the '70s. It is Jason's first video in which he is seen wearing a black cowboy hat, instead of his usual white one. The video was directed by Wes Edwards.
In popular culture
The song was also featured in the soundtrack to the video game NASCAR 08.
|US Billboard Hot 100||68|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||38|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Vercher, Brody (2007-05-29). "Jason Aldean - "Johnny Cash"". Engine 145. Archived from the original on 2014-12-18. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- Coyne, Kevin John (2007-02-03). "Jason Aldean - "Johnny Cash"". Country Universe. Archived from the original on April 12, 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Best of 2007: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Jason Aldean – Johnny Cash". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.