Johnny Russell (footballer)
Russell playing for Dundee United in 2011
|Full name||Johnathon Simpson Snedden Russell|
|Date of birth||8 April 1990|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Sporting Kansas City|
|2008||→ Forfar Athletic (loan)||9||(4)|
|2009||→ Forfar Athletic (loan)||17||(4)|
|2009–2010||→ Raith Rovers (loan)||23||(4)|
|2018–||Sporting Kansas City||43||(17)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 June 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 25 March 2019
Johnathon Simpson Snedden Russell (born 8 April 1990) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays as a forward for American club Sporting Kansas City. He has previously played for Dundee United, Forfar Athletic, Raith Rovers and Derby County. Russell represented Scotland at under-19 and under-21 level. He was first named in the Scotland squad in 2012, and made his full international debut in November 2014.
Russell, who had featured just five times for Dundee United's under-19 side in 2006–07, made his professional debut in the Scottish Premier League on 12 May 2007 in the 2–0 defeat at Falkirk, coming on as an 80th-minute substitute for Steven Robb.
In August 2008, Russell moved on loan to Forfar Athletic of the Scottish Football League Third Division until the end of the year, scoring twice on his début. In January 2009, Russell made his first start for Dundee United in the Scottish Cup fourth round victory at East Stirlingshire, scoring a second-half penalty kick for his first United goal. Russell returned to Forfar on loan for the remainder of the season, agreeing a contract extension with United in April until May 2012.
In September 2009, Russell played and scored in Dundee United's League Cup win against Ross County before undertaking a month's loan with Raith Rovers in the Scottish Football League First Division, which was subsequently extended until Boxing Day. The deal was further extended until the end of the season, and Russell ended his time in Kirkcaldy with his first senior hat-trick in a final day 4–1 win over Ross County.
In April 2011, Russell scored a header, for Dundee United's second goal in a 3–2 win at Ibrox, which David Goodwillie scored the winner in the 89th minute. On 21 July he scored for United in the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League, the second in a 3–2 second qualifying round second leg win against Polish side Śląsk Wrocław. United had lost the first leg 1–0, so were eliminated on the away goals rule. He also scored against Celtic that season, and broke into the United team.
On 7 January 2012, Russell netted a hat-trick, his second of his career, in a 6–2 Scottish Cup win over Airdrie United. As of that match, Russell had scored a total of 9 goals in the 2011–12 season and it saw him become a regular in the starting line-up for Dundee United alongside Jon Daly.
On 19 January 2013, Russell scored his first SPL hattrick in a 3–2 win over Kilmarnock. Russell equalled Finn Døssing's record for the fastest ever Dundee United goal, when he scored after 14 seconds in a 3–0 Scottish Cup victory against Rangers at Tannadice Park on 2 February.
In May 2013, it was reported that bids for Russell were made by Italian Serie A team Catania and English Championship side Derby County with Dundee United keen to sell Russell with a year left on his contract after his agent stated that Russell would not be signing a new contract. In June 2013; Derby County had an offer accepted for the striker.
Russell joined Derby County on 10 June 2013 for a fee of around £750,000, and he signed a four-year contract. He scored twice on his debut in a pre-season friendly at Irish side Bohemians. Russell's competition for a starting place consisted of Chris Martin, Conor Sammon and Jamie Ward. Russell scored on his competitive debut, from the penalty spot, in Derby's 1–1 draw with Blackburn Rovers on 4 August. He scored a fifth in four friendlies in the Bass Charity Vase final against Burton Albion on 13 August, which Derby lost 3–2. Russell fractured his left fibula during the game and was ruled out of action for six weeks.
Sporting Kansas City
On 31 January 2018, Russell signed with Major League Soccer club Sporting Kansas City on a three-year contract. He made his debut for Sporting in the opening game of their 2018 MLS season, a 2–0 defeat against New York City FC on 4 March. Russell's fantastic solo goal against Los Angeles Galaxy earned him MLS Goal of the Week. Russell scored a hat-trick for Sporting KC in a 6–0 win against Vancouver Whitecaps on 20 April, earning him the MLS Player of the week award.
In August 2007, Russell made his debut for the Scotland under-19s. He scored two goals in 10 appearances for the under-19s. Russell then played 11 times for the Scotland under-21s, scoring once in the process. He received his first call up to the full national team for the match against the United States in May 2012, but did not play. Russell made his full international debut in November 2014, in a 3–1 friendly home defeat to England. On as a second-half substitute, Russell provided the assist for Andrew Robertson to make it 2–1.
Uncapped since October 2015, he was recalled to the Scotland squad in May 2018, for friendlies against Peru and Mexico. On 24 March 2019 he scored his first international goal to secure a 2–0 away win over San Marino in UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying.
- As of 29 May 2019
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|Dundee United Total||102||31||9||10||5||4||4||1||–||120||46|
|Forfar Athletic (loan)||2008–09||Third Division||9||4||0||0||0||0||–||0||0||9||4|
|Forfar Athletic (loan)||2008–09||Third Division||17||4||0||0||0||0||–||0||0||17||4|
|Raith Rovers (loan)||2009–10||First Division||23||4||5||1||0||0||–||0||0||28||5|
|Derby County Total||144||25||5||0||8||2||–||5||1||162||28|
|Sporting Kansas City||2018||Major League Soccer||29||10||3[c]||2||4[d]||0||–||5[e]||0||41||12|
|2019||Major League Soccer||13||7||0[c]||0||0[d]||0||4[f]||0||1[g]||0||18||7|
|Sporting Kansas City Total||42||17||3[c]||2||4[d]||0||4||0||6||0||59||19|
- Appearance(s) in UEFA Europa League
- Appearance(s) in Football League Championship play-offs
- Appearance(s) in US Open Cup
- Appearance(s) in MLS Cup Playoffs
- Appearance(s) in UEFA Nations League and International friendly
- Appearance(s) in CONCACAF Champions League
- Appearance(s) in UEFA European Championship qualifying
- As of 17:49, 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- Scores and results list Scotland's goal tally first.
|1.||24 March 2019||San Marino Stadium, Serravalle, San Marino||San Marino||2–0||2–0||UEFA Euro 2020 qualification|
- "The Football League Limited: Club list of registered players as at 16th May 2015" (PDF). The Football League. 16 May 2015. p. 17. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Falkirk 2-0 Dundee Utd". BBC Sport. 12 May 2007. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "JOHNNY RUSSELL ON LOAN TO FORFAR ATHLETIC". Dundee United FC. 20 August 2008. Archived from the original on 23 August 2008. Retrieved 20 August 2008.
- "Trio extend contracts". Dundee United FC. 3 April 2009. Retrieved 3 April 2009.
- "Morton will have to pay to get Moore". Press and Journal. 27 October 2009.
- "Raith Rovers 4–1 Ross County". BBC Sport. 1 May 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "Rangers 2–3 Dundee United". BBC Sport. 2 April 2011.
- "Airdrie Utd 2–6 Dundee Utd". BBC Sport. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Dundee United plan to cash in on Johnny Russell". BBC Sport. 28 May 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Rams agree fee for Scottish striker Russell". Derby Telegraph. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Johnny Russell: Derby County sign Dundee United striker". BBC Sport. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Russell arrival gives Rams an extra option as one of strikers with pedigree". Derby Telegraph. 27 July 2013. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Derby 1–1 Blackburn". BBC Sport. 4 August 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Burton Albion 3-2 Derby County". Burton Albion FC. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Derby striker Johnny Russell out for six weeks through injury". BBC Sport. 8 October 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Kovzan, Sam (31 January 2018). "Sporting KC acquires Scottish winger Johnny Russell in a transfer from English club Derby County FC". Sporting KC. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- Boehm, Charles (12 April 2018). "Solo golazo by Sporting KC's Johnny Russell wins AT&T Goal of the Week". Major League Soccer.
- "Russell has hat trick, Sporting KC routs Whitecaps 6-0". USA Today. 20 April 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "JOHNATHON RUSSELL". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- Scotland U21s - Johnny Russell Fitbastats. Retrieved 31-03-2015.
- Levein names squad to face USA Scottish FA. 15-05-2012. Retrieved 31-03-2015.
- "Dundee United's Johnny Russell handed first Scotland call-up". BBC Sport. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Johnny Russell: Derby County striker's pride at Scotland debut". BBC Sport. BBC. 21 November 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "England and Wayne Rooney see off Scotland in their own back yard". The Guardian. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Scotland pick Johnny Russell plus seven uncapped players including Lewis Stevenson & Lewis Morgan". BBC Sport. BBC. 14 May 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Alex McLeish says Scotland must 'kick on' after nervy win over San Marino". The Guardian. Press Association. 24 March 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- Johnny Russell at Soccerbase
- Johnny Russell at the Scottish Football Association
- "Johnny Russell". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 28 March 2019.