Joseph H. Bunce
Joseph Henry Bunce
|Mayor of Louisville, Kentucky|
|Preceded by||Philip Tomppert|
|Succeeded by||John George Baxter|
|Born||December 15, 1823|
|Died||February 27, 1908 (aged 84)|
Joseph Henry Bunce (15 December 1823 - 27 February 1908) was the eighteenth Mayor of Louisville, Kentucky from 1869 to 1870.
Joseph Henry Bunce was born on 15 December 1823 in New York. He was a steamboat captain until the mid-1860s, when he founded a wholesale grocery firm. Typical of Louisville steamboat captains, he lived with his family in the Portland district.
A Democrat, he ran against future mayor John G. Baxter and police chief Robert Gilchriest in 1869. Despite not being endorsed by the democratic party or The Courier-Journal, Bunce won by 300 votes over Baxter.
He was elected to a two-year term, but the city charter was changed in 1870 to allow for a three-year term and Bunce chose to run again for a new term, and was defeated this time by Baxter.
In 1888, he built the first area school, which is still known as the Bunce school. He was appointed postmaster of the Bunce station in October 1895. In 1896 he was justice of the peace for Allenspark and Jamestown. Bunce was a significant figure in Allenspark, Colorado, history, homesteading near there in 1897.
Around 1900, he moved to Lyons, Colorado, where he was elected justice of the peace in 1901 and later mayor.
Bunce married Josephine Mullins (1828-1882) and had four children who survived, Mary Alice, Charles William, Harriet Archer, and Marshall Halbert. On January 9, 1886, he married Henrietta Truitt (1831-1925) in Boulder County, Colorado.
He died on 27 February 1908 in Lyons, Colorado.
- Longmont Ledger (Longmont, Boulder County), February 28, 1908
- #770-O Carnegie Branch Library for Local History, Boulder, Colorado
- Boulder Daily Camera (Boulder, Boulder County), September 21, 1896
- BLM Gov't. Land Office #COCOAA 037544
- Boulder County Colorado Clerk and Recorder
- Yater, George H. (1987). Two Hundred Years at the Fall of the Ohio: A History of Louisville and Jefferson County (2nd ed.). Louisville, KY: Filson Club, Incorporated. ISBN 0-9601072-3-1.
- "Joseph H. Bunce". The Encyclopedia of Louisville (1 ed.). 2001. p. 146.
- Knowlton, Lorna; DeWeese, Edie (2011). Weaving Mountain Memories: Recollections of the Allenspark Area (2nd ed.). Allenspark, CO: The Allenspark Wind. ISBN 978-0-9625286-1-3.
| Mayor of Louisville, Kentucky
John G. Baxter