|45th Attorney General of Wisconsin|
|Assumed office |
January 7, 2019
|Preceded by||Brad Schimel|
Joshua Lautenschlager Kaul
February 2, 1980
|Education||Yale University (BA)|
Stanford University (JD)
Early life and career
Kaul is the son of Peg Lautenschlager and Raj Kaul. His stepfather, Bill Rippl, worked as a police officer. He was raised in Oshkosh and Fond du Lac. Kaul graduated from Yale University as a double major in history and economics. He earned his Juris Doctor from Stanford Law School. While a student at Stanford, he served as President of the Stanford Law Review.
Kaul had a clerkship for Michael Boudin in the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. From 2007 through 2010, he worked for the law firm Jenner & Block, and worked as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney's office Baltimore through 2014. As a federal prosecutor in Baltimore, Kaul led the prosecution of a case in which three defendants were convicted of conspiracy to commit murder in aid of racketeering and he participated in the prosecution of a witness-murder case. Kaul also served as the lead prosecutor through the original indictment of members of rival gangs that were involved in murders, shootings and other crimes.
In 2014, Kaul moved back to Wisconsin and joined the law firm Perkins Coie's Madison office. Kaul's practice focused on voting-rights and other election-related litigation. He tried cases challenging restrictive voting measures under the Voting Rights Act of 1965 in federal courts in Wisconsin, North Carolina, Ohio, and Virginia.
Attorney General of Wisconsin (2019–present)
In the 2018 elections, Kaul ran for Attorney General of Wisconsin defeating incumbent Republican Brad Schimel. Kaul won by a small margin of just over 17,000 votes, but Schimel decided not to seek a recount and conceded defeat on Nov. 19th. Kaul became the state's first Democratic Attorney General since his mother's term in office.
|Republican||Brad Schimel (incumbent)||1,288,712||48.76|
- Bob Zientara (April 25, 2018). "Attorney General candidate has family ties to Barron | Free News". news-shield.com. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "Candidate Q&A: Attorney general | Government & Politics". wiscnews.com. January 1, 1970. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "In attorney general contest, Brad Schimel and Josh Kaul draw sharp contrasts | State-and-regional". wiscnews.com. January 1, 1970. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- 1 min to read (September 14, 2018). "Wedge Issues: Josh Kaul talks public service, family, spreadable cheese | Politics and Elections". madison.com. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- US News and World Report
- "Meet Josh – Josh Kaul for Attorney General". Josh Kaul. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "Joshua L. Kaul". Perkins Coie.
| Attorney General of Wisconsin