Juan J. de Pablo
Juan J. de Pablo
de Pablo delivering the University of Chicago's 528th Convocation Address
|Born||December 9, 1962 (age 56)|
|Doctoral advisor||John Prausnitz|
Juan J. de Pablo (born December 9, 1962) is a chemical engineer and professor in the Institute for Molecular Engineering at the University of Chicago. As of 2018, he is also the University of Chicago's Vice President for National Laboratories. He is known for his research on the thermophysical properties of soft materials. He is currently the co-director of the NIST supported Center for Hierarchical Materials Design (CHIMaD). and former director of the UW-Madison Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC).
De Pablo earned a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México in 1985. After completing his doctorate in chemical engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 1990 under the advisement of John Prausnitz, he conducted postdoctoral research at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland.
He is a fellow of the National Academy of Engineering, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Physical Society and an honorary member of the Mexican Academy of Sciences. He is recipient of the AIChE Charles M.A. Stine Award for outstanding contributions to the field of materials science and engineering, the DuPont Medal for excellence in nutrition and health science, and the American Physical Society 2018 Polymer Physics prize  He holds over 20 patents on multiple technologies.
- "Vision - Center for Hierarchical Materials Design". Chimad.northwestern.edu. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Nanoscale research receives big boost". News.wisc.edu. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Juan de Pablo - People - de Pablo Group - Institute for Molecular Engineering". Ime.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Professor Juan J. de Pablo". NAE Website. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "National Academy of Engineering Elects 80 Members and 22 Foreign Members". NAE Website. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "ALPHABETICAL INDEX OF ACTIVE MEMBERS" (PDF). Amacad.org. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Mexican Academy of Sciences names Juan de Pablo as honorary member". News.uchicago.edu. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Braskem Award for Excellence in Materials Engineering and Science". Aiche.org. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "DuPont Nutrition & Health Honors 2016 Science Excellence Medalists - DuPont - Danisco". Danisco.com. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "2018 Polymer Physics Prize Recipient". www.aps.org. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Patent Database Search Results: IN/"de Pablo, Juan" in US Patent Collection". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 15 October 2017.