|First flight||12 June 1923|
|Primary user||Soviet Air Force|
The Junkers J 21 (manufacturer's sales designations T 21 and H 21) was a reconnaissance aircraft designed in Germany in the early 1920s and produced in the Soviet Union at the Junkers plant at Fili for use by the Soviet Air Force.
Design and development
The J 21 was an all-metal, parasol-wing monoplane of conventional configuration and fixed, tailskid undercarriage. The pilot and observer sat in tandem, open cockpits. Two prototypes were constructed at the Junkers factory in Dessau, the second with a wing of reduced area. Despite the fact that the prototypes were unable to attain the performance that had been specified by the Soviets, series production commenced at Fili in August 1923 where it was known as the Ju 21 (Юнкерс Ю 21 in Cyrillic).
The production version differed from the prototypes in having a BMW IV engine in place of the BMW III originally fitted, and carried machine gun armament for both the pilot and observer. Sluggish performance led to a few examples being fitted with L2 and L5 engines, but these provided little improvement. With performance only marginally better than the World War I-vintage de Havilland DH-9A that it had been purchased to replace, the Ju 21 was itself soon replaced by newly built DH-9As built under license as the Polikarpov R-1.
- J 22 (T 22): single-seat fighter version, very similar to the J 21 but with its wing lowered almost to the top of the fuselage to reduce drag, the pilot's cockpit moved back further than the gunner's position on the J 21 and a more rounded rudder. First of two flew 30 November 1923. No production so no sales or Russian letter prefix.
- J 28: two-seat fighter version of J 21 with a 400 hp BMW VI engine. No production.
Specifications (first prototype)
Data from Kay 2004 p.45
- Crew: Two, pilot and observer
- Length: 7.90 m (25 ft 11 in)
- Wingspan: 10.70 m (35 ft 1 in)
- Wing area: 21.8 m2 (235 ft2)
- Empty weight: 830 kg (1,830 lb)
- Gross weight: 1,225 kg (2,700 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × BMW IIIa, 138 kW (185 hp)
- Maximum speed: 217 km/h (135 mph)
- Range: 750 km (470 miles)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Junkers military aircraft.|
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions. p. 538.
- Johnson, Robert Craig (December 1998). "Planting the Dragon's Teeth: the German Air Combat School at Lipetsk (USSR) 1925-1930". Chandelle. 3 (3). Retrieved 2008-08-16.
- The Hugo Junkers Homepage
- Уголок неба