The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Southern Maryland Blue Crabs – No. 26|
|Born: January 3, 1989|
Kevin Lee Munson (born January 3, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. Before beginning his professional career, Munson attended James Madison University and played college baseball for the James Madison Dukes. He was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks, and selected by the Philadelphia Phillies from the Diamondbacks in the 2013 Rule 5 Draft.
Munson attended Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia. He then enrolled at James Madison University, where he played college baseball for the James Madison Dukes baseball team. Munson played collegiate summer baseball for the Bourne Braves of the Cape Cod Baseball League in 2009, was named a league all-star, and helped lead Bourne to the league title. After the 2010 season, he was named the Colonial Athletic Association's pitcher of the year and a third team All-American by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.
The Arizona Diamondbacks selected Munson in the fourth round of the 2010 MLB Draft, with the 121st selection. He signed with the Diamondbacks, receiving a $243,000 signing bonus. After the 2011 and 2012 seasons, the Diamondbacks sent him to the Arizona Fall League. By 2013, he reached Class AAA, the highest level of minor league baseball, where he pitched for the Reno Aces. Mike Parrott, Reno's pitching coach, said Munson is "a good candidate to [at] some time be called up to the big leagues next year.".
On December 12, 2013, Munson was selected by the Philadelphia Phillies with the fourth pick in the Rule 5 draft. According to the rules, Munson had to make the Phillies' Opening Day roster and remain with the team for the entire season, or the Phillies will have to offer Munson back to the Diamondbacks. After competing for a spot in the Phillies' bullpen during spring training,
Return to Diamondbacks
He was returned to the Diamondbacks on March 18, 2014.
Munson pitched for Reno in 2014, compiling a 4–3 win–loss record with a 2.60 earned run average. After the season, the Diamondbacks added Munson to their 40-man roster to protect him from the next Rule 5 draft. He was designated for assignment on August 31, 2015.
He elected free agency on October 13, 2015.
He signed a minor league deal with the Seattle Mariners on July 1, 2016. He elected free agency on November 7, 2016.
On March 28, 2017, Munson signed with the Lancaster Barnstormers of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. He became a free agent after the 2017 season. Signed with the Tigres Del Licey, in the winter of 2017. Had a 3.12 ERA with 11K in 8.2 innings pitched.
Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Mark Berman (August 24, 2013). "Cave Spring grad sets sites on major league baseball". roanoke.com. Archived from the original on August 29, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Dillman, Damon (September 13, 2009). "JMU's Munson Among Cape Cod All-Stars". Whsv.com. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Graham, Chris (June 3, 2010). "UVa. trio, JMU's Munson make All-America teams | Augusta Free Press – Waynesboro, Va., Local News". Augusta Free Press. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Choate, Zac (July 13, 2010). "Former Diamond Duke Munson Inks Deal with D-Backs". Whsv.com. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Ketchum, Don (November 15, 2012). "Kevin Munson relishes extra Arizona Fall League experience | dbacks.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Shorr-Parks, Eliot (December 12, 2013). "MLB Rule 5 Draft: Phillies select Kevin Munson, lose Seth Rosin to Mets". NJ.com. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Branch, Chris (March 4, 2014). "Phillies: Munson battling for bullpen spot". Delawareonline.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "Phillies return Rule 5 pick Munson to D-backs | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia". Csnphilly.com. March 18, 2013. Archived from the original on March 20, 2014. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "D-backs add Drury, four others to roster". FOX Sports. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "Munson Returns to Lancaster; Barnstormers Sign Lakind". Lancaster Barnstormers. Retrieved February 19, 2018.