Name board of Visakhapatnam - Kollam Express train
|Service type||Inter-city rail|
|Locale||Andhra Pradesh, Kerala & Tamil Nadu|
|First service||January 30, 2014|
|Current operator(s)||Indian Railway|
|End||Kollam Junction (QLN)|
|Distance travelled||1,575 km (979 mi)|
|Average journey time||28 hours 35 minutes|
|Class(es)||AC 2 tier, AC 3 tier, sleeper 3 tier, 6 unreserved|
|Sleeping arrangements||Couchette cars|
|Observation facilities||Large windows|
|Track gauge||5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) Indian gauge|
|Electrification||25 kV AC 50 Hz|
|Operating speed||55 km/h (34 mph)|
Visakhapatnam is a place where Malayalis are very high in number. A train between Visakhapatnam and Kollam (Quilon or Coulão), the erstwhile commercial capital of Malabar Coast, was a long-standing demand from the Malayali communities in Andhra Pradesh. As a result, Indian Railways have started a permanent service between Kollam and Visakhapatnam on 30 January 2014. Railway used to run special train services between Kollam and Visakhapatnam every year.
The train numbered as 18567 (from Visakhapatnam to Kollam) and 18568 (from Kollam to Visakhapatnam), travels through Vijayawada Junction, Tenali, Katpadi Junction, Coimbatore Junction and Kottayam for both up and down services.
Kollam Junction → Sasthamkotta → Karunagappally → Kayamkulam → Mavelikara → Chengannur → Tiruvalla → Changanassery → Kottayam → Ernakulam Town → Aluva → Thrissur → Palakkad Junction → Coimbatore Junction → Tiruppur → Erode Junction → Salem Junction → Jolarpettai Junction → Katpadi Junction → Renigunta Junction → Gudur Junction → Nellore → Singarayakonda → Ongole → Bapatla → Tenali → Vijayawada Junction → Eluru → Rajahmundry → Samalkot → Elamanchili → Duvvada → Visakhapatnam Junction
- 1 AC III tier
- 3 AC II tier
- 9 sleeper class
- 6 general compartments
- 2 SLR compartments
- Kollam–Thiruvananthapuram trunk line
- Shoranur–Cochin Harbour section
- Anantapuri Express
- Palaruvi Express
- "No end to raw deal for Waltair division". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Weekly express train service between Vizag and Kollam from month-end". Business Line. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Vizag-Kollam Weekly Express Train from January 30". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Timings of new trains announced". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Train Number Index" (PDF). Indian Railways. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "18568-Kollam-Vizag Express". India Rail Info. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
|This Indian rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|