Almoner of His Holiness
Konrad Krajewski (2018)
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||3 August 2013|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Deacon of Santa Maria Immacolata all'Esquilino (2018–)|
|Ordination||11 June 1988|
by Władysław Ziółek
|Consecration||17 September 2013|
by Giuseppe Bertello
|Created cardinal||28 June 2018|
by Pope Francis
|Born||25 November 1963|
|Previous post||Titular Archbishop of Beneventum (2013–18)|
|Motto||Latin: Misericordia (Mercy)|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Ordination history of
Krajewski was born in Łódź, Poland. In 1982 he entered the seminary of the Archdiocese of Łódź. He earned a degree in theology from the Catholic University of Lublin and was ordained a priest on 11 June 1988. After ordination, he served the diocese for two years in pastoral work.
In 1990 Krajewski continued his studies at the Liturgical Institute of St. Anselmo in Rome. On 5 March 1993 he obtained his Licentiate in Sacred Liturgy. Krajewski earned a Doctorate in Theology from the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas in 1995 with a dissertation entitled L'ordinazione episcopale nella riforma del Concilio Vaticano II ("Episcopal ordination in the reform of Vatican II"). During his stay in Rome Krajewski collaborated with the Office for the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff.
He returned to his diocese in 1995 and served as master of ceremonies for the archbishop and taught liturgy at the seminary and to the Franciscans and Salesians. In 1998 he returned to Rome to work in the Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff. On 12 May 1999, Pope John Paul II appointed him a Papal Master of Ceremonies.
On 3 August 2013, Pope Francis appointed him Papal Almoner, the formal title of which office is "Almoner of His Holiness." At the same time, he was made Titular Archbishop of Beneventum. He was consecrated on 17 September 2013 by Cardinal Giuseppe Bertello with Archbishops Piero Marini and Władysław Ziółek as co-consecrators. Pope Francis attended the consecration.
On the Pope's behalf, the almoner carries out acts of charity and raises the money to fund them. Krajewski's office funds its work by selling customized parchments with a photograph of the pope and an inscription in calligraphy that document papal blessings granted on a special occasion, such as a wedding, baptism or priestly ordination. All proceeds go directly to the works of charity. In 2012, the office spent one million Euro (US$1.4 million) on 6,500 requests for help.
Krajewski described how Francis has redefined the little-known office of papal almoner: "The Holy Father told me at the beginning: 'You can sell your desk. You don't need it. You need to get out of the Vatican. Don't wait for people to come ringing. You need to go out and look for the poor'", Krajewski said. Requests for aid that the pope receives are delivered to the almoner daily, sometimes accompanied with notations in the pope's hand. Archbishop Krajewski has visited homes for the elderly and distributed funds to the needy. He spent four days on the island of Lampedusa after a migrant boat carrying Eritreans capsized, praying with police divers as they worked to raise the dead from the sea floor. In June 2015 Archbishop Krajewski announced plans for a thirty-bed, volunteer-run dormitory for the homeless near the Vatican. Krajewski said the entire initiative was aimed at "giving people their dignity." It opened in October 2015.
On May 11 2019, Krajewski climbed down a manhole cover in a Rome street to break a seal and switch back on the electricity supply to a building where 450 people were squatting, including 100 children, thereby restoring power and hot water which they had been without for five days  . The squatters included migrants. Krajewski was criticised on Twitter by Matteo Salvini, the Deputy Prime Minister of Italy, for his action but responded by telling the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera: "From now on.... I'll pay the bills; indeed I will even pay his" [Salvini's bill]. (His remark in Italian is in the paragraph  beneath a photo showing Krajewski circled in red)
- "Nomina dell'elemosiniere di Sua Santità". Bollettino (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See. Sala Stampa della Santa Sede. 3 August 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- O'Connell, Gerard (6 August 2013). "Pope tells new Almoner: "Do this work with a lot of imagination"". Vatican Insider. La Stampa. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Zuhlsdorf, John (18 September 2013). "A new Papal Almoner". Fr. Z's Blog. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Borawski, Marek (18 September 2013). "Konsekracja biskupia ks. abp. Konrada Krajewskiego" (in Polish). Radio Maryja. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Information about Applying for Papal Blessing Parchments". Office of Papal Charities. Holy See. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Winfield, Nicole (28 November 2013). "Pope Ramps up Charity Office to Be Near Poor, Sick". ABC News. Associated Press. Archived from the original on 1 December 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Pope Francis Trusts Archbishop Konrad Krajewski As Vatican Almoner To 'Go Out And Look For The Poor'". HuffPost. Associated Press. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Ruelle, Michelle (8 June 2015). "Pope to open dormitory for homeless". ANSA. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Tornielli, Andrea (12 October 2015). "Pope's dormitory for the homeless is inaugurated". Vatican Insider. La Stampa. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico: Assegnazione dei Titoli, 28.06.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Giuffrida, Angela (13 May 2019). "Pope's aide promises to pay electricity bills for homeless squatters". The Guardian newspaper. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- O'Brien, Paraic (2 August 2019). "The Pope v the populists". Channel 4 News. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- Vecchi, Gian Guido (12 May 2019). "The Pope's almoner Krajewski: 'I did it for those children, I take responsibility for them'" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Krajewski Card. Konrad". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
|Catholic Church titles|
Manuel Monteiro de Castro
|— TITULAR —
Titular Archbishop of Beneventum
3 August 2013 - 28 June 2018
| Almoner of His Holiness
3 August 2013 – present
|New title|| Cardinal-Deacon of Santa Maria Immacolata all'Esquilino|
28 June 2018 – present