Barraclough with the Miami Marlins in 2018
|San Francisco Giants – No. 45|
|Born: May 23, 1990|
Santa Clara, California
|August 7, 2015, for the Miami Marlins|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 17, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.59|
Kyle David Barraclough (born May 23, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has played in MLB for the Miami Marlins and Washington Nationals. His surname is pronounced "bear-claw".
After graduating from Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California, Barraclough played college baseball at St. Mary's College of California. In 2011, his junior year, he had a 6–5 win-loss record with a 3.60 earned run average (ERA) in 15 games (14 starts). After the season, he was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 40th round of the 2011 MLB draft, but did not sign. As a senior in 2012, he pitched to a 2–9 record with a 3.95 ERA in 84 innings. He was then drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the seventh round of the 2012 MLB draft.
On July 24, 2015, Barraclough was traded to the Miami Marlins for Steve Cishek. He was called up to the majors for the first time on August 7, 2015. He struck out Joey Terdoslavich for his first Major League strikeout. He finished 2–1 with a 2.59 ERA in 24 1⁄3 innings, he struck out 30 while issuing 18 walks. In 2016, he struck out 113 in just 72 2⁄3 innings. He also issued 44 walks. The next season he appeared in 66 games, striking out 76 in 66 innings. On June 3, 2018, he replaced Brad Ziegler as closer.
On October 10, 2018, Barraclough was traded to the Washington Nationals for international slot value. He was sent down to the Harrisburg Senators of the Class AA Eastern League on July 27, 2019, after struggling to a 6.66 ERA in 33 appearances. On August 6, 2019, Barraclough was designated for assignment.
San Francisco Giants
On August 9, 2019, the San Francisco Giants claimed Barraclough from the Nationals off of waivers. On August 15, Barraclough was designated for assignment. He was outrighted to AAA by the Giants on August 16. On September 2, the Giants selected Barraclough's contract.
Barraclough grew up a Giants' fan.
- "Kyle Barraclough". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- "Former Wilcox Star Shining in the Major Leagues – The Silicon Valley Voice". Svvoice.com. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "Kyle Barraclough Selected By Twins In MLB Draft – SMC California Athletics". Smcgaels.com. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "Kyle Barraclough Selected By Twins In MLB Draft". SMCGaels.com. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Wagaman, Andrew. "Cardinals make draft picks in rounds 2–15 today | Cardinal Beat". stltoday.com. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "BSB – Kyle Barraclough Drafted By Cardinals in Seventh Round". SMCGaels.com. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "St. Louis Cardinals add former Miami Marlins closer Steve Cishek to bullpen". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Fox Sports. "Miami Marlins place Jose Urena, Andre Rienzo on DL; call up Kendry Flores, Kyle Barraclough". FOX Sports. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Nationals acquire reliever Kyle Barraclough from the Marlins". Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- Collier, Jamal (July 27, 2019). "Kyle Barraclough optioned to Double-A Harrisburg | Washington Nationals". Mlb.com. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- August 9, 2019, 7:52 PM UTC. "Giants claim Kyle Barraclough from Nationals". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved August 9, 2019.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Jeff Todd (August 16, 2019). "Giants Outright Kyle Barraclough". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved August 18, 2019.