Church of Notre-Dame-Bonsecours
Location within L'Islet RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||January 1, 2000|
|• Mayor||André Caron|
|• Federal riding||Montmagny—L'Islet—|
|• Prov. riding||Côte-du-Sud|
|• Total||176.30 km2 (68.07 sq mi)|
|• Land||120.02 km2 (46.34 sq mi)|
|• Density||33.3/km2 (86/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||4.1%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
History and geography
The current town of L'Islet was formed in 2000 with the merger of the former city of L'Islet, the municipality of L'Islet-sur-Mer, and the parish municipality of Saint-Eugène.
The municipality got its name from a small island in the river near the village of L'Islet-sur-Mer.
The Notre-Dame-de-Bonsecours church, built 1768, is classified as important historical building.
The town hosts many small events during the year such as the Festival Guitares en fête, La Parades des Berlots, and the L'Islet Car Show.
Local rivers include the:
- Adine Fafard-Drolet, singer and founder of a music school
- Louis Pierre Blanchet, founder of St. Charles, Missouri USA in 1769.