Lakefield College School
|Lakefield College School|
4391 County Road 29
|School type||Private, Coeducational, Boarding, Day Students|
|Motto||Mens sana in corpore sano|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Anglican Church of Canada|
|Head of school||Anne-Marie Kee|
|Campus||Waterfront Campus (155-acre (0.63 km2), rural), Northcote Campus (160-acre (0.65 km2), rural)|
|Colour(s)||Red and Green|
$65,400 (international boarding)
Lakefield College School (sometimes called LCS, The Grove or simply Lakefield) is a private day and boarding school located north of the village of Lakefield, Ontario. It was the first Canadian member of Round Square, an international affiliation of schools.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LCS was founded in 1879 by Sam Strickland and Col. Sparham Sheldrake (in Strickland's home, called Grove House). It was originally named Sparham Sheldrake's Preparatory School for Boys and was located on 25 acres (100,000 m2) of land with a large farmhouse, a shed, and a kitchen; with enough room to accommodate about 15 boys.
In 1895 Reverend Alexander Mackenzie, then a teacher at the school, became Headmaster and bought the school from Col. Sheldrake. He built the school chapel (in 1924) and established the school's educational philosophy of combining a rigorous academic curriculum with a full program of sports, arts and outdoor education. During his time at the school, new classrooms, dormitories and dining room were added. His son Kenneth became the school's third Headmaster — a position he held until joining the Royal Canadian Navy two years later; he died in a car crash in 1966.
In 1940, Gordon Winder Smith, was appointed Headmaster. The school was faced with a mounting debt, buildings in poor condition and very little property surrounding the school. Working with the school's Board of Governors, Winder Smith. or "Boodie" as he was known, was able to retire the debt. He then embarked on a program of upgrading the facilities and adding new buildings and residences. Following the Second World War the name was changed to Lakefield Preparatory School. In May 1959, the school's new classroom building was visited by Governor-General Vincent Massey. In 1964, Mr. Smith retired and Winder Smith Dining Hall was named in his honour.
Jack Eastwood Matthews was appointed as the next Headmaster and over the next seven years the school expanded in numbers and in international reputation. (Matthews went on to found Lester B. Pearson College in British Columbia.) In May 1965, Lt.-Gov. Earl Rowe visited and officially opened Winder-Smith Hall and in September, Premier John Robarts officially opened Colebrook House.
On January 1, 1966, Lakefield Preparatory School was renamed Lakefield College School. In 1969, Prince Philip The Duke of Edinburgh visited and presented Gold, Silver, and Bronze Awards. In 1970, the funds for a new theatre and classroom building were donated and construction began. It was called the McLaughlin-Osler Centre and was opened by former Old Boy, Teacher and then Peterborough MP Hugh Faulkner. The next Headmaster, John Terry M. Guest was appointed in 1971, and Ashelworth House and property surrounding the school was purchased.
In 1977, Prince Andrew attended the school for a term as an exchange student from Gordonstoun School, Scotland, starting a long lasting relationship that continues to this day. The school became the first Canadian member of the Round Square Conference of Schools, an international association of schools with similar values and beliefs.
In 1979, the school celebrated its' centennial.
In 1985, David Hadden took over as Headmaster, initiating major changes. Although there was much debate among its alumni, Board of Governors, and trustees, LCS became co-educational in response to changing times and enrollment. In 1989, the first female students were accepted to LCS. Under Hadden's headship, the old chapel was replaced (1997), an artificial ice outdoor hockey rink was constructed (2005) in memory of Bob Armstrong, the Northcote campus was added (2007) and construction on a $12.5 million Student Recreation Centre was begun (2007).
In early 2008, David Thompson, the Principal of Greenwood College School and LCS trustee, was appointed as Hadden's successor. In 2008, the new student recreation centre, with a gymnasium, outdoor education classrooms, and student common areas was officially opened and named Hadden Hall.
David Thompson resigned as Head of School, effective June 30, 2010, and Sarah McMahon was appointed Interim Head of School, effective August 1, 2010. Struan Robertson joined LCS as Head of School in March 2011. Robertson resigned as Head of School, effective June 30, 2016, and Guy McLean was appointed Interim Head of School, effective August 1, 2016.
In August 2017, Anne-Marie Kee joined Lakefield College School as its 12th Head of School and Head of LCS Foundation.
LCS has a 155-acre (0.63 km2) wooded, waterfront, campus on the east shore of Lake Katchewanooka in rural Ontario. It is just north of the village of Lakefield, an hour and a half drive north-east from Toronto, Ontario.
It contains twelve boarding houses, with an average of just over 20 students per house. The main building contains a dining hall, modern theatre, music room, art room, day student locker rooms, science labs, large library, computer lab, and classrooms.
An outdoor artificial ice surface, The Bob Armstrong Rink, has been operational since November 2005. A boathouse at the waterfront contains sailboats, kayaks, and canoes. Other buildings contain the dance studio and weight room. There is also a chapel which is affiliated with the Anglican Diocese of Toronto.
Recently, 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land was donated to LCS through the Gastle family. The 'Northcote' campus officially became part of the LCS community on October 27, 2007.
In October 2008, Lakefield College School opened a new student recreation centre, named Hadden Hall in honour of David and Susan Hadden's 23 years at the school. The facility includes a gymnasium, outdoor education wing, indoor climbing wall, dance studio, exercise facility, and several common areas for students. The east wing of the hall was named the Paul and Hélène Demarais Family Outdoor Education Wing, and the gymnasium was named for The McEwen Family. This new building is the school's first LEED gold-certified building.
Construction on LCS's second LEED gold-certified building, the Cooper House residence, was complete for Fall 2009. The most recent residence, Uplands, was completed in Summer 2015, officially opened in October 2015.
As of 2016, LCS enrolls 365 students (grades 9–12); 260 boarding and 105 day students.
The boarding students are divided into twelve residential houses, (Grove, Ondaatje, Memorial, Rashleigh, Upper Colebrook, Lower Colebrook, Susanna Moodie, Matthews, Wadsworth, Ryder, Cooper, Uplands), each with an adult 'Head of House' who acts as a parent and an 'Assistant Head of House' who acts like an older brother or sister while the student is away from home. There are six boys' boarding houses and six girls' boarding houses which contain student dormitories, washrooms, common areas, a Head of House residence, and an Assistant Head of House apartment. Each has an average of 23 students and two adults. There are also two day houses, (Brown, Armstrong), divided by gender, of which each consist of approximately 50 students.
There are also the four competitive "spirit" houses of Lefevre, Mackenzie, Pullen, and Sheldrake. Initially there were two houses, Red and Green, but these were divided in the 1950s into the four 'houses'. The initial colour schemes for each house was: Lefevre, green and silver; Mackenzie, blue and red; Pullen, blue and yellow; Sheldrake, black and gold. These colour schemes have since been changed to each house having one colour; Lefevre, white; Mackenzie, red; Pullen, blue; Sheldrake, green.
All students also have an academic advisor, who helps with course selection, university admission, and arranging extra help (including tutoring) if necessary.
LCS in the News
- We are thrilled to announce that alumnus John ’68 and Jane Hepburn have made a $15 million commitment toward the school’s new dining hall and other strategic priorities. The Hepburn's gift represents one of the largest single donations ever made to an independent school in Canada. Read more.
- Lakefield College School was one of the first high schools in Canada to perform the musical, Mamma Mia!. Its sold-out run earned standing ovations each night and accolades in the Peterborough press.
- HM Felipe VI of Spain, King of Spain, member of the Spanish Royal Family,
- HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York, member of the Royal Family (1978)
- Ted Byfield, Western Canadian writer, publisher
- Paul Desmarais, Jr., chairman and co-CEO of Power Corporation of Canada
- Emilio Azcárraga Jean, CEO of Televisa, the largest media company in the Spanish-speaking world
- Kenneth Irving, CEO of Irving Oil from 2000-2010
- Anna Gainey, Liberal Party of Canada President (2014–present)
- Ian Binnie, Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, Served from 1998 to 2011
- David Miller, mayor of Toronto from 2003 to 2010
- Will Arnett, actor
- Matt Frewer, actor
- Barclay Hope, actor
- James R.M. Harris, former leader of the Green Party of Canada
- Nick Wright, former leader of the Green Party of Nova Scotia
- Marc Dillon Riddell, Gemini Award winning journalist
- Harry Albright, former editor of The Friend and international journalist
- Christian Kracht, Swiss writer
- Gord Hunter, Nepean/Ottawa city councillor, 1980–2010
- Colin Harper aka Collie Buddz, musician
- Michael Kulas, musician, James
- Sebastian Bach, musician and frontman, Skid Row (American Band)
- Cody Ceci, plays for the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League
- Greg Douglas, Olympian (sailing)
- John W. Childs `Ramblings of a Rolling Stone: A Boy's Journey from England to Canada During World War II`(1939–1945). John W. Childs wrote about his life as a student at Lakefield.
- "How to Get Financial Assistance for Students: Bursaries for Students at Lakefield College School". lcs.on.ca. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Buckingham Palace: Canadian organizations under royal patronage". royal.gov.uk. Archived from the original on January 6, 2015. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Marian Press (1 January 2011). Education and Ontario Family History: A Guide to the Resources for Genealogists and Historians. Dundurn. pp. 56–. GGKEY:GTATU6FB0GY.
- Robertson Davies (6 October 2015). A Celtic Temperament: Robertson Davies As Diarist. McClelland & Stewart Limited. pp. 217–. ISBN 978-0-7710-2764-2.
- Queen Elizabeth II and the Royal Family: A Glorious Illustrated History. DK Publishing. 15 September 2015. pp. 218–. ISBN 978-1-4654-4912-2.
- " Only parents suffer when kids go away to school". NANCY CARR, LAKEFIELD, ONT. The Globe and Mail, Thursday, Sep. 26, 2013
- "Results - Greg Douglas Sailing - Greg Douglas Sailing". gregdouglassailing.com. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Childs, J.W. (2005). Ramblings of a Rolling Stone: A Boy's Journey from England to Canada During World War II. General Store Publishing House. p. 64. ISBN 9781897113202. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lakefield College School.|