|Member of the New York State Assembly|
from the 55th district
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2015
|Preceded by||William Boyland Jr.|
|Born||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Education||State University of New York, Purchase (BA)|
Pace University (JD)
Life and career
Walker was born and raised in Brownsville, Brooklyn in Prospect Plaza Houses, a NYCHA development. She attended New York City Public Schools prior to receiving her bachelor's degree at SUNY Purchase College, and her J.D. from Pace University.
Prior to her election to the Assembly, Walker served as chief counsel to United States Congresswoman Yvette Clarke, who represents much of the same area in Congress. Currently, she resides in Ocean Hill-Brownsville with her daughter, Nile.
New York Assembly
In 2014, Assemblyman William F. Boyland Jr. was found guilty of corruption and was therefore forced to resign. As a result, the seat became open and Walker as well as six others entered the race. In a seven-way primary, Walker secured the nomination with just under 40% of the vote. She would easily win the general election.
Walker was sworn into office on January 1, 2015.
- "Central Brooklyn Pols Rally for Latrice Walker to Take Boyland Seat". Times Union. 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- "A New Contender Enters the Fray for Convicted Boyland's Seat". Observer. 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- "Latrice Walker wins Democratic primary for state Assembly's 55th District". News 12 Brooklyn. 2014-09-10. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- "To Be Or Not To Be Sworn In – That Remains A Question". Kings County Politics. 2014-12-14. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- New York State Assemblywoman Latrice Walker official site
William F. Boyland Jr.
| New York Assembly, 55th District