Laura Gómez (actress)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Laura Gómez (born 1979) is a Dominican actress, speaker, writer, and director. Gómez is best known for her portrayal of the character Blanca Flores in the Netflix series Orange Is The New Black. In Fall 2012, she won the NYU Technisphere Award for her short film To Kill a Roach.
Born in the Dominican Republic, she grew up in Santo Domingo working as an actress and reporter. She moved to New York at the age of 21 to study acting. After three years in the United States, she made her entry into theater and voice work.
In 2011, Gómez was awarded an IX Screenwriting Developing Grant by the Spanish Fundación Carolina. She studied film at the University of New York, and screenwriting at the Jacob Krueger Studio. She wrote, directed and produced the short films To Kill A Roach—for which she received the NYU Fall 2012 Technisphere Award for Outstanding Achievement—and Hallelujah. She directed and co-produced The Iron Warehouse, written by the playwright Hilary Bettis. She appeared as a guest actor in Law & Order SVU, and played a recurring role in the HBO miniseries Show Me A Hero, and a minor role in the film Exposed.
Currently[when?] she is a member of Spanish Repertory Theater, with which she has appeared in critically acclaimed theatrical productions such as Doña Flor y sus dos maridos and La casa de los espíritus. Her voice-over work includes Spanish-language announcer for CoverGirl and Suave, and audiobooks including How the García Girls Lost Their Accent, by Julia Álvarez, and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz.
- Sambá as Luna Torres, Dir. Laura Amelia Guzmán-Israel Cárdenas
- Exposed as Eva de la Cruz, Dir. Declan Dale
- Trabajo as Lilí, Dir. Nelson Peña
- Maggie Black as Kim (Co-star), Dir. Stanley Brode
- Hallelujah as Natalia (Lead), Dir. Laura Gómez
- To Kill a Roach as Alicia (Lead), Dir. Laura Gómez
- Pinchos y Rolos (NYILFF) as Elizabeth (Lead), Dir. Freddy Vargas
- Cheesecake and a Tango as Wife (Lead), Dir. Soleidy Méndez
- Víctimas del Poder as Wanda (Lead), Dir. Jorge Lendebourg
- Yo, la peor de todas as Paula (Co-star), Dir. Francisco Lupini
- Nueva York (Tribeca Film Fest) as Nurse (Co-star), Dir. Manolo Celi
- Cleaning Law as Laura (Co-star), Dir. Rob López
- Miniseries de la Vida Real as Wife (Co-star), Dir. Micky Bretón
- The Bohemians as Waitress (Principal), Dir. José Luis Cortés
|2008||Law & Order||Claudia||Episode: "Challenged"|
|2013-2019||Orange Is the New Black||Blanca Flores||Series regular|
|2014–15||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Selena Cruz||3 episodes|
|2015||Show Me a Hero||Dama Montero||4 episodes|
- Heath, Paul. "Screen Actors Guild awards winners in full | THN". Retrieved 2019-03-14.