Leicester Friars of the Sack
|Order||The Friars of the Order of the Penitence of Jesus Christ|
|Location||Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom|
Leicester Friars of the Sack is a former Friary of "The Friars of the Order of the Penitence of Jesus Christ" (more commonly known as the "Brothers of Penitence" or the "Friars of the Sack"), in Leicester, England.
The Friars of the Sack were so called because of their simple clothing usually made from sackcloth. The order was founded in Italy and first arrived in England during the reign of King Henry III; opening their first friary in London in 1257. Pope Gregory X suppressed the order in 1274 leading to the closure of the European friaries of the order. Those in England, however, continued to operate without Papal legitimacy; some until the final dissolution of the monasteries under King Henry VIII.
The Brothers of Penitence lived a severe life. They wore rough sackcloth and walked either barefoot or with simple wooden sandals. The friars of the order never ate meat and were only allowed to drink water.
- F.A. Gasquet, English Monastic Life, pp. 234-242.
- Friaries: Friaries in Leicester, A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 2 (1954), pp. 33-35. Date accessed: 27 June 2013
- Thomas Moule, The English Counties Delineated, Volume 2, p.87.