Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie
|No. of offices||10|
|No. of attorneys||300+|
|Major practice areas||Corporate and financial services and securities, environmental and natural resources, litigation, intellectual property|
Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie is a U.S. law firm, with approximately 300 attorneys in ten offices in Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico. In 2015, The American Lawyer magazine ranked the firm number 179 in its annual Top 200 U.S. law firms list. Its administrative offices are located in Phoenix, where is it one of the top five law firms in Arizona
The firm has handled pro bono cases including Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436 (1966), in which partners John P. Frank, John Flynn and others represented Ernesto Miranda in the landmark case US Supreme Court case, giving rise to "Miranda Rights."
The firm represents clients across a range of practice areas, managed through primary practice groups for litigation, intellectual property, business transactions, gaming law, and regulatory and government relations.
The firm’s largest practice group, litigation, includes lawyers in areas including religious institutions, insurance, labor and employment law, IP litigation, product liability, appellate and real estate litigation. Attorneys handle commercial disputes before state and federal trial and appellate courts and administrative tribunals.
Many attorneys in the firm’s second largest practice group, intellectual property, have science and engineering backgrounds. The group handles cases of IP procurement, enforcement and defense, including IP licensing, IP strategy, prosecution and litigation for patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets, and Internet law and domain disputes.
The business transactions practice group includes real estate and construction, corporate services, company formation, mergers and acquisitions, insurance, health care services, financial services, land development, and negotiating transactions.
The gaming practice group supports casino operators, suppliers, state and local governments, communities, businesses, non-profit organizations, tribal governments and others in addressing casino gaming law including Native American and riverboat casinos, racinos, interactive and mobile gaming, poker and interstate horse racing.
Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie has government relations practices in Arizona, Colorado and Nevada, focusing on public policy.
The firm was founded in Phoenix as Lewis and Roca, by Orme Lewis and Paul Roca in 1950, with clients in Arizona and the southwest. The firm grew to 180 lawyers with offices in Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Reno, Albuquerque and Silicon Valley, and practices within litigation, real estate and business transactions, natural resources, gaming, intellectual property, and bankruptcy.
In 2013 the firm merged with Denver-based Rothgerber Johnson & Lyons, which operated in the Rocky Mountain region since 1903 with 75 lawyers and offices in Denver, Colorado Springs and Casper, and practice areas in litigation, real estate, banking, insurance, energy infrastructure and religious institutions. The merged firm was renamed Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP.
On January 1, 2016, Lewis Roca Rothgerber combined with Christie, Parker & Hale, a Los Angeles-based intellectual property firm, to become Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP. Founded in 1954 by James Christie, Robert Parker and Russell Hale, CPH had included about 40 attorneys in Los Angeles and Orange County and had handled patent work for SpaceShipOne, the first privately funded human space flight, among other clients.
Notable alumni of the firm include former Wyoming Governor and ambassador to Ireland Mike Sullivan; former Arizona Governor and Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano; and James Lyons, who was Special Advisor to the President and Secretary of State for Economic Initiatives in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Phoenix lawyers John Paul Frank and John J. Flynn of Lewis and Roca and others represented Ernesto Miranda on a pro bono basis, which led to the landmark Miranda v. Arizona decision on June 13, 1966 in which the U.S. Supreme Court declared the specific rights set of for criminal defendants. The Miranda warning is the formal warning that is now required to be given by police in the United States to criminal suspects in police custody (or in a custodial situation) before they are interrogated, in accordance with the Miranda ruling.
Recognition and rankings
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Tucson, Arizona
- Los Angeles, California
- Silicon Valley, California
- Denver, Colorado
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Reno, Nevada
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- "Lewis and Roca | The American Lawyer". www.americanlawyer.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Top five law firms in Arizona". Phoenix Business Journal. January 19, 2016.
- "Eight/KAET | Arizona Stories". www.azpbs.org. Archived from the original on 2016-02-03. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "The Supreme Court . Expanding Civil Rights . Landmark Cases . Miranda v. Arizona (1966) | PBS". www.pbs.org. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Organizational Profile of Lewis Roca". The National Law Review. ISSN 2161-3362. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Litigation | Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP". www.lrrc.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Intellectual Property | Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP". www.lrrc.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Financial Services & Regulatory Compliance | Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP". www.lrrc.com. Archived from the original on 2016-02-04. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Gaming | Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP". www.lrrc.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Government Relations | Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP". www.lrrc.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Launches 3D printing practice". Archived from the original on 2015-11-17.
- "Firm Overview | Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP". www.lrrc.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Journal, ABA. "Lewis and Roca to merge with Rothgerber; combined firm will have about 250 lawyers". ABA Journal. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "New Year, New Name: Lewis Roca Rothgerber Merges in SoCal". www.law.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Christie, Parker & Hale Obtains an Important Patent for a Burt Rutan Engineered Hybrid Rocket System | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Lewis Roca Rothgerber named to 2016 Best Law Firms list". StreetInsider.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.