List of County Governors of Troms
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
This is a list of the County Governors of Troms county in Norway. The office of County Governor is a government agency of the Kingdom of Norway. The title was Amtmann (before 1919) and then Fylkesmann (after 1919).
In 1844, the Troms area were separated from Vardøhus amt to form the new Tromsø amt (county). For the first 22 years, the Tromsø and Vardøhus counties shared an amtmann. It wasn't until 1866 that Tromsø got its own county governor. In 1919, the name was changed to Troms fylke. On 1 July 2006, the Northern Sami language name for the county was granted co-official (parallel) status along with Troms, so the names became Troms fylke (Norwegian) or Romssa fylka (Northern Sami). From 1 January 2019 the County Governor offices of Troms and Finnmark were merged in anticipation of the merger of the two counties.
The county governor is the government's representative in the county. The governor carries out the resolutions and guidelines of the Storting and Government. This is done first by the county governor performing administrative tasks on behalf of the ministries. Secondly, the county governor also monitors the activities of the municipalities and is the appeal body for many types of municipal decisions.
The name of the county (Tromsø or Troms) and the word for county (amt or fylke) have changed over time. From 1844 until 1918 the title was Amtmann i Tromsø amt. Since 1 Jan 1919, the title was Fylkesmann i Troms fylke.
List of County Governors
Troms county has had the following governors:
|County Governors of Troms|
|1844||1853||Anton Theodor Harris
|1854||1857||Carl Frederik Motzfeldt
|1858||1869||Mathias Bonsach Krogh Nannestad
|1869||1889||Christian Collett Kjerschow
|1889||1914||Boye Christian Riis Strøm
|1915||1920||Klaus Nord Hoel
|1928||1938||Johannes Gerckens Bassøe
|1939||1940||Gunnar Bjørn Nordbye
|1941||1946||Hans Ougen Skotner
(WWII Occupied government)
|1953||1977||Kristian Even Haug
|1991||2000||Leif Arne Heløe
(acting for Ludvigsen)
|2014||2017||Bård Magne Pedersen
(acting for Aspaker)
- For the County Governors of this area before 1804, see List of County Governors of Finnmark.
- For the County Governors of this area after 2019, see List of County Governors of Troms and Finnmark.
- Cahoon, Ben (2000). "Norwegian Counties". Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Stiftamtmenn, amtmenn og fylkesmenn 1814-1994" (in Norwegian). regjeringen.no. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- Berg, Ole T., ed. (2016-06-13). "Fylkesmenn og amtmenn (stiftamtmenn) siden 1671". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- Henriksen, Petter, ed. (2007). "Hans Julius Gabrielsen". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 20 November 2009.
- Fjørtoft, Kjell (1997). Oppgjøret som ikke tok slutt (in Norwegian). Oslo: Gyldendal. p. 16. ISBN 82-05-24493-6.