List of Major League Baseball career games played as a catcher leaders
Games played (most often abbreviated as G or GP) is a statistic used in team sports to indicate the total number of games in which a player has participated (in any capacity); the statistic is generally applied irrespective of whatever portion of the game is contested. In baseball, the statistic applies also to players who, prior to a game, are included on a starting lineup card or are announced as ex ante substitutes, whether or not they play, although, in Major League Baseball, the application of this statistic does not extend to consecutive games played streaks. A starting pitcher, then, may be credited with a game played even as he is not credited with a game started or an inning pitched.
Catcher is a position for a baseball or softball player. When a batter takes his/her turn to hit, the catcher crouches behind home plate, in front of the (home) umpire, and receives the ball from the pitcher. In addition to these primary duties, the catcher is also called upon to master many other skills in order to field the position well. The role of the catcher is similar to that of the wicket-keeper in cricket.
Iván Rodríguez is the all-time leader in games played as a catcher, playing 2,427 games at the position. Carlton Fisk (2,226), Bob Boone (2,225), Gary Carter (2,056), Jason Kendall (2,025) are the only other players to play over 2,000 games at the catcher position.
|Rank||Rank amongst leaders in career games played. A blank field indicates a tie.|
|Player (2019 Gs)||Number of games played during the 2019 Major League Baseball season.|
|G as C||Total career games played as a catcher.|
|*||denotes elected to National Baseball Hall of Fame. |
|Bold||denotes active player.[a]|
- Stats updated as of September 13, 2019.
- A player is considered inactive if he has announced his retirement or not played for a full season.
- Section 20 of the official scorer guidelines
- "Iván Rodríguez Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Iván Rodríguez Hall of Fame Profile". National Baseball Hall of Fame. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Rodriguez's records won't be easy to catch". ESPN. April 18, 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Carlton Fisk Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Bob Boone Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Gary Carter Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Jason Kendall Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Career Leaders & Records for Def. Games as C". Baseball-Reference.com.