List of Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit stations
Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit, or SMART, is a commuter rail service in California's Sonoma and Marin counties. The line serves ten stations in the initial operating segment (IOS), with six more planned to open after further construction.
The main line was built primarily by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad and received regular service until 1958 when passenger trains were discontinued south of Willits. After the decline in railway traffic in the post-WWII years, the line was eventually closed to all rail activity. The right-of-way was acquired by a special-purpose district and reopened to freight movements in 2011 and passenger service on August 25, 2017.
All stations have high-level platforms for accessible boarding. San Rafael and Santa Rosa stations are located adjacent to former NWP station buildings (as will be Novato Downtown, Healdsburg, and Windsor), but the former depots are used for other purposes.
|Station||Service began||Connections||Municipality||County||Parking spaces|
|Sonoma County Airport||August 25, 2017[b]||Sonoma County Transit (plus Sonoma County Airport Shuttle)||Mark West||Sonoma||50|
|Santa Rosa North||Santa Rosa CityBus
Sonoma County Transit
|Santa Rosa Downtown||0|
|Rohnert Park||August 25, 2017[a]||Sonoma County Transit||Rohnert Park||?|
|Cotati||Sonoma County Transit||Cotati||?|
|Petaluma Downtown||Sonoma County Transit
|Novato San Marin||Golden Gate Transit
|Marin Civic Center||Marin Transit||San Rafael||?|
|San Rafael||August 25, 2017[c]||Golden Gate Transit
Sonoma County Transit
Greyhound Bus Lines
|Station||Projected opening||Municipality||County||Status / Notes|
|Cloverdale||2027||Cloverdale||Sonoma||Eventual northern terminus of system|
|Novato Downtown||2019||Novato||Marin||Partially constructed|
|Larkspur Landing||December 2019||Larkspur||Marin||1⁄3 mile (0.5 km) walk from Larkspur Ferry Terminal|
Eventual southern terminus of system
- Prado, Mark (April 8, 2016). "SMART OKs rail stop in downtown Novato". Marin Independent Journal. Digital First Media.
- "Freight Trains and Passenger Trains," (PDF). Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit. July 2008. Archived from the original (pdf) on June 13, 2010.
- Moore, Derek (July 14, 2017). "Sonoma County adds bus routes designed to serve SMART train users". The Press Democrat. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- "SMART Preview: Take a Ride with Us". Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit. Archived from the original on June 30, 2017.
- "SMART announces dates and schedule for free public Preview Rides in July" (PDF) (Press release). Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit. July 3, 2017.
- "2018 California State Rail Plan (Draft)" (PDF). CalTrans. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Bailey, Heather (May 9, 2018). "SMART coming to Windsor, pending ballot measure". Healdsburg Tribune.
- Quackenbush, Gary (30 October 2018). "SMART train system details roll-out to Windsor, Healdsburg, Cloverdale, Sonoma". North Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Fixler, Kevin. "North Coast trail bill re-imagines SMART rail operations extending into Mendocino County". www.pressdemocrat.com. The Press Democrat. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit stations.|