List of Tampa Bay Rays Opening Day starting pitchers
The Tampa Bay Rays are a Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise based in St. Petersburg, Florida. They play in the American League East division. The first game of the new baseball season for a team is played on Opening Day, and being named the Opening Day starter is an honor, which is often given to the player who is expected to lead the pitching staff that season, though there are various strategic reasons why a team's best pitcher might not start on Opening Day. The Rays have used twelve different Opening Day starting pitchers in their twenty-two seasons. Since the franchise's beginning in 1998, the twelve starters have a combined Opening Day record of six wins, nine losses (6–9), and seven no decisions. "No decisions" are awarded to the starting pitcher if the game is won or lost after the starting pitcher has left the game.
Chris Archer and James Shields holds the Rays' record for most Opening Day starts with four. Archer has one win, two losses, and one no decision, while Shields has one win, one loss, and two no decisions. The all-time record for a Tampa Bay starting pitcher winning an Opening Day game is one, shared by Steve Trachsel, Albie Lopez, Victor Zambrano, James Shields, David Price, and Chris Archer.
Overall, Rays starting pitchers have a combined 4–6 record at home and 2–3 when they are away for Opening Day. In 2004, the Rays opened the season against the New York Yankees at Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan. Although that game was not played in Tampa Bay's actual home of Tropicana Field, it was still considered a home game for the Rays. Tampa Bay beat the Yankees 8–3 in that game, giving starting pitcher Victor Zambrano the win.
|Season||Each year is linked to an article about that particular Rays season.|
|ND (W)||No decision by starting pitcher; Rays won game|
|ND (L)||No decision by starting pitcher; Rays lost game|
|Pitcher (#)||Number of appearances as Opening Day starter with the Rays|
|*||Advanced to the post-season|
|**||Won the American League Championship Series|
- Bastian, Jordan (March 22, 2010). "Marcum tapped for Jays' Opening Day". MLB.com. Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Dilbeck, Steve (February 24, 2014). "Dodgers may not start Clayton Kershaw in Sydney". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "Tampa Bay Rays Opening Day Starters and Results". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- "Tampa Bay Devil Rays Opening Day History". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved September 25, 2008.
- "Boston 5, Tampa Bay 3". Yahoo!. Retrieved April 7, 2009.
- "Tampa Bay 4, Baltimore 3". Yahoo!. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- "Rays tee off on Mussina in Tokyo". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "Devil Rays 9, Tigers 5". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "Red Sox's closer-by-committee theory fails first test". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "Halladay pitches Jays to opening victory". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "Homer-happy O's win sixth straight on Opening Day". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "Yankees beat Rays on emotional Opening Day". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "Rays win first season opener in eight years". ESPN. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- "David Price officially named Tampa Bay Rays' opening day starter". St. Petersburg Times. Archived from the original on March 19, 2011. Retrieved March 16, 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Tampa Bay Rays beat New York Yankees 7-6 on Carlos Peña's walkoff single". Tampa Bay Times. Archived from the original on February 3, 2013. Retrieved April 7, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Bullpen betrays Rays in 7-4, season-opening loss to Orioles". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Rays blast Blue Jays 9-2 to open season". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Mistake-prone Rays lose season opener to Orioles". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- "Archer K's 12, but Rays lose opener to Blue Jays". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 5, 2016.