The church of St. Adeline, Little Sodbury
|Population||113 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Avon and Somerset|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Little Sodbury is an English village in South Gloucestershire, located between Chipping Sodbury, to the West, Old Sodbury to the South, Badminton, and the A46 road to the East and Horton and Hawkesbury Upton, to the north.
St Adeline's Church was built in 1859 by William James.
The 15th century, 17,385 square feet (1,615.1 m2) Little Sodbury Manor was the home of Sir John Walsh who employed William Tyndale as chaplain and tutor to his grandchildren in 1522-3; by tradition he began his translation of the Bible in his bedroom here. The manor retains the porch and Great Hall, with a timber roof resting on corbels carved as shield-bearing angels, of the fifteenth-century courtyard house. The house fell into disrepair in the nineteenth century, but was restored by architect Sir Harold Brakspear for Lord Grosvenor and later Baron de Tuyll.
Little Sodbury's Iron Age hill fort reshaped by the Romans is accessible from the village via the Cotswold Way at grid reference . There is a Royal Observer Corps post at grid reference . Little Sodbury is one of three Thankful Villages in Gloucestershire - those rare places that suffered no fatalities during the Great War of 1914 to 1918.
- Tzeses, Jennifer. "King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn Lived in This $10.5 Million Castle". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- David Verey, Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, The Buildings of England edited by Nikolaus Pevsner, 2nd ed. (1979) ISBN 0-14-071040-X, pp. 303–304
- Anthony Emery, "Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales, 1300-1500: Southern England", Cambridge University Press, 2006, ISBN 0-521-58132-X, p. 115
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Little Sodbury.|
- Sodbury Players - local amateur dramatics group in the Yate and Chipping Sodbury Area
- GENUKI - Little Sodbury
- The Modern Antiquarian: Little Sodbury Hillfort
|This South Gloucestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|