Llanwern railway station
|Original company||South Wales Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|12 September 1960||Closed to passengers|
|16 April 1961||Closed to all traffic|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Llanwern railway station is a former station serving Llanwern on the east side of the city of Newport. It was opened with the South Wales Railway in 1850 and closed to passengers on 12 September 1960 in preparation for the building of Llanwern steelworks. It was closed completely on 16 April 1961.
The Newport City Council unitary development plan and Sewta rail strategy plan for the station to be re-opened at the same time as the main line is re-signalled by 2012. Station reopening was subsequently postponed.
After the run-down of the steelworks and the building of housing on the site, the future of Llanwern seems likely to be busy and the station is also under consideration for some part in a broader Severnside Parkway scheme, to relieve the pressure of commuter traffic and its parking on the village of Rogiet and Severn Tunnel Junction.
|This Wales railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|