Luis Castillo (pitcher)
Castillo at the 2019 MLB All-Star Red Carpet Parade in Cleveland
|Cincinnati Reds – No. 58|
|Born: December 12, 1992|
Baní, Peravia, Dominican Republic
|June 23, 2017, for the Cincinnati Reds|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 16, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.60|
|Career highlights and awards|
San Francisco Giants
Castillo signed with the San Francisco Giants as an international free agent in December 2011. He made his professional debut in 2012 with the DSL Giants and spent the whole season there, going 1–3 with a 3.31 ERA in 54.1 relief innings pitched. In 2013, he returned there, going 0–1 with a 0.64 ERA in 27 relief appearances, and in 2014, he played for the Augusta GreenJackets where he pitched to a 2–2 record and 3.07 ERA in 48 relief appearances.
On December 20, 2014, Castillo along with Kendry Flores were traded to the Miami Marlins for Casey McGehee. He spent 2015 with the Greensboro Grasshoppers and was promoted to the Jupiter Hammerheads in July. In 35 games (16 starts) between the two teams, he was 6–6 with a 3.20 ERA.
Castillo began 2016 with Jupiter and was promoted to the Jacksonville Suns during the season. On July 29, 2016, the Marlins traded Castillo along with Jarred Cosart, Josh Naylor and Carter Capps to the San Diego Padres for Andrew Cashner, Colin Rea and Tayron Guerrero. He was returned to Marlins after Rea suffered an injury in his first start and was returned to the Padres. The Marlins added him to their 40-man roster after the season. In 26 games (24 starts) between Jupiter and Jacksonville, he was 8–6 with a 2.26 ERA.
Castillo made his major league debut on June 23, 2017 against the Washington Nationals. In 14 starts for Pensacola prior to his call-up he compiled a 4–4 record and 2.58 ERA. Castillo spent the remainder of the season with the Reds after his promotion, going 3–7 with a 3.12 ERA in 15 starts. He began 2018 in Cincinnati's starting rotation. In 31 starts for the Reds, he posted a record of 10–12 with an ERA of 4.30 in 169 2⁄3 innings.
- "Giants fill Sandoval hole, trade for McGehee". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Lin, Dennis. "Padres trade Cashner, Rea to Marlins in 7-player deal". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Marlins land Cashner, Rea in 7-player trade". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Marlins add 4 to 40-man roster". Miami Marlins. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Frisaro, Joe (January 20, 2016). "Marlins get right-hander Dan Straily from Reds | MLB.com". M.mlb.com. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- Rosecrans, C. Trent. "Reds' Luis Castillo to make big-league debut Friday". Cincinnati.com. Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Luis Castillo Stats, Highlights, Bio – MiLB.com Stats – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "Castillo gets call on Opening Day for Reds". MLB.com. MLB. March 19, 2019. Retrieved March 19, 2019.