Cessa with the New York Yankees in 2019
|New York Yankees – No. 85|
|Born: April 25, 1992|
|April 8, 2016, for the New York Yankees|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 10, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.41|
Cessa signed with the New York Mets as an international free agent in July 2008. He made his professional debut in 2009 with the Dominican Summer League Mets. Cessa was a shortstop his first two seasons before transitioning into a pitcher in 2011. On July 31, 2015, the Mets traded Cessa and Michael Fulmer to the Detroit Tigers for Yoenis Céspedes. He was added to the Tigers 40-man roster after the season. On December 9, 2015 the Tigers traded Cessa and Chad Green to the New York Yankees for Justin Wilson.
Cessa was named to the Yankees' Opening Day roster in 2016. He made his major league debut for the Yankees on April 8. He pitched two innings, allowing two hits, one home run, and two strikeouts as the Yankees were shut out by the Detroit Tigers, 0–4. The Yankees optioned Cessa to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders of the Class AAA International League on April 15, 2016, in exchange for Tyler Olson. On May 17, the Yankees recalled Cessa for AAA Scranton/WB. On June 7, the Yankees optioned him to AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. On June 26, the Yankees recalled Cessa from AAA Scranton/WB. On June 29, Cessa earned his first Major League win, pitching 3 innings of 1-run relief.
Cessa began the season with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, before being recalled in June. In August Cessa was placed on the disabled list after making a spot start for the Yankees, the rib cage injury would end his season.
Cessa again spent most of the season with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders and was used in a variety of roles by the Yankees in the major leagues. Cessa started 5 games and finished 6, while recording a pair of three inning saves.
- Ashley Marshall (April 12, 2015). "Binghamton Mets right-hander Luis Cessa spins seven one-hit innings". MiLB.com. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- "Tigers' Dombrowski badly wanted Mets prospect Fulmer, liked Cessa". Detroit Free Press. July 31, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Yoenis Cespedes traded to New York Mets by Detroit Tigers". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Detroit Tigers decline $10-million option on Joe Nathan". Detroit Free Press. November 3, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Detroit Tigers trade for Justin Wilson, a power lefty they hadn't had". Detroit Free Press. December 9, 2015. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- Mark Feinsand (April 8, 2016). "Yankees bats go cold against Jordan Zimmermann in 4-0 loss to Tigers". New York Daily News. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Ryan Hatch (April 15, 2016). "Yankees option Luis Cessa to Triple-A, call up lefty Tyler Olson | NJ.com". nj.com. Retrieved October 9, 2016.