The Gothic Saint Peter's church
|• Total||2.76 km2 (1.07 sq mi)|
|Elevation||53 m (174 ft)|
Młynary [mwɨˈnarɨ] (German: Mühlhausen in Ostpreußen) is a town in Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland, with 1,782 inhabitants (2018). This makes it the smallest of the 49 towns in the voivodeship.
The town was founded in the 14th century. A document from 1338 specifies the rules of judicial settlement of potential disputes between people of the town's three main ethnic groups: Poles, Old Prussians and Germans.
In 1454 the town sided with the Prussian Confederation, at the request of which King Casimir IV Jagiellon signed the act of incorporation of the region to the Kingdom of Poland, an event that sparked the Thirteen Years’ War (1454–1466). In 1455 the town was briefly captured by the Teutonic Knights and the town's mayor was drowned by them in retaliation. After the peace treaty signed in Toruń in 1466, the town remained under Polish suzerainty as a fief.
In 1628 the town was captured and occupied by the Swedes. In 1773, a year after the First Partition of Poland, the 52nd Fusilier Regiment of Prussia was located in the town. During the Napoleonic Wars, in 1807 French troops entered the town and stayed over a year.
Between 1871 and 1945 the area was part of Germany (province of East Prussia). After World War II the region was placed under Polish administration by the Potsdam Agreement under territorial changes demanded by the Soviet Union. Most Germans fled or were expelled and replaced with Poles expelled from the Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union or forced to settle in the area through Operation Vistula in 1947.
Historic Polish names of the town, other than Młynary, were also Młyny and Miluza.
- Maciej Płażyński, Polish politician
|This article about a location in Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|