"Madreterra" is the official anthem of Sicily since 2003. It was the first regional anthem in Italy, and was written by Vincenzo Spampinato, whom was chosen after an official competition. However, other songs (notably, Suoni la tromba, English translation: Blare the trumpet) have been traditionally regarded as national anthems of Sicily. The lyrics are in Italian. Madreterra was performed in public for the first time at the Ancient theatre of Taormina on 14 June 2003 by the Sicilian Symphony Orchestra and the Musa 2000 Choir.
|Italian lyrics||English translation|
Sei tu il sorriso che fa ritornare
You are the smile that makes you come back
- "La Regione siciliana ha il proprio inno, Madreterra. La Sicilia è la prima fra tutte le Regioni ad averlo" (in Italian). L'Ora Siciliana. 13 June 2003. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Alberto Bonanno; Laura Nobile (20 April 2003). "Un cantautore catanese per l'inno della Regione" (in Italian). la Repubblica. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "Taormina, esordisce l'Inno siciliano" (in Italian). la Repubblica. 15 June 2003. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Tano Gullo (13 June 2003). "In piedi, si canta Fratelli di Sicilia" (in Italian). la Repubblica. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "Inno ufficiale Regione Siciliana" (in Italian). Regione Siciliana. Retrieved 23 June 2018.