Magen David Synagogue (Byculla)
|Magen David Synagogue|
Magen David Synagogue end of the 19th century
|Leadership||Mr. Solomon Sopher|
|Location||340, Sir J. J. Road Byculla, Mumbai |
|Direction of façade||West|
|Minaret(s)||1 Clock Tower|
|Materials||Concrete, Steel, Glass|
Erected in 1864, the synagogue was constructed by David Sassoon in Victorian style for the growing population of Baghdadi Jews who had fled from persecution by the governor and Wali of Baghdad Dawud Pasha. By 1910, the Jewish community in the neighbourhood of Byculla had increased to the extent that the synagogue could no longer service all the devotees and the synagogue was extended with the help of Jacob, David Sassoon's grandson.
The synagogue is one of the largest in Asia outside of Israel.
Within the extensive grounds of the Synagogue there are two Jewish Schools which are operated by the Sir Jacob Sassoon High School Trust and the E.E.E. Sassoon High School Trust, in which Jewish children were originally educated. Over time most of the Bagdadi Jews moved to the more affluent Colaba area or abroad to Israel, Australia, Britain and Canada. With the scarcity of Jewish students, the Schools have opened to all communities and currently provide for the population in the vicinity, which is 98% Muslim.
- Manasseh, Rachel. "The Baghdadi Synagogues in Bombay and Poona". shalom2.20m.com. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Nair, Manoj R. (21 December 2011). "Restored Mumbai synagogue celebrates 150 years of peace". DNA. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Magen David Synagogue". Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Ginsburg, Aimee (6 December 2010). "Lighting The Menorah". Outlook. Retrieved 10 October 2018.