Marcus C. Lisle
Marcus Claiborne Lisle
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Kentucky's 10th district
March 4, 1893 – July 7, 1894
|Preceded by||Joseph M. Kendall|
|Succeeded by||William M. Beckner|
|Born||September 23, 1862|
|Died||July 7, 1894(aged 31)|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth "Lizzie" Buckner Bean (1866–1893)|
|Alma mater||Columbia Law School|
Marcus C. Lisle (September 23, 1862 – July 7, 1894) was an American lawyer, judge and politician from Kentucky who served as a member of the United States House of Representatives from 1893 until his death the following year.
Born near Winchester, Kentucky, Lisle attended the common schools of his native county and the University of Kentucky at Lexington. He graduated from Columbia Law School, New York City, and was admitted to the bar and commenced legal practice in Winchester, Kentucky, in 1887. He served as county judge of Clark County, Kentucky, in 1890.
Lisle was elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-third Congress and served from March 4, 1893, until his death in Winchester, Kentucky, July 7, 1894, of "complication of consumption and Bright's disease". He was interred in Winchester Cemetery.
Lisle married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Buckner Bean (1866–1893) at the Presbyterian Church, Winchester, Kentucky, on April 27, 1887. The first child born to this marriage was Ernest Claiborne Lisle (1888–1917). On March 17, 1893, the infant son of Judge Lisle died and was buried beside the body of his mother, who had died a few days earlier.
- United States Congress. "Marcus C. Lisle (id: L000345)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- "Lisle, Marcus Claiborne, (1862 - 1894)". United States Congress. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "New York Times Lisle obituary" (PDF). Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Marcus Claiborne Lisle". Find A Grave. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "The Democrat, March 8, 1893". Clark County Public Library. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "The Lexington Morning Transcipt, April 24, 1887". Clark County Public Library. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Ernest Claiborne Lisle". Find A Grave. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "The Winchester Democrat, March 23, 1893". Clark County Public Library. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Newspaper clippings: search Lisle, Marcus Claiborne
- Media related to Marcus C. Lisle at Wikimedia Commons
This article incorporates public domain material from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress website http://bioguide.congress.gov.
|U.S. House of Representatives|
Joseph M. Kendall
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Kentucky's 10th congressional district
William M. Beckner
|53rd||Senate: J. C. S. Blackburn | W. Lindsay||House: W. J. Stone | W. C. P. Breckinridge | J. B. McCreary | A. B. Montgomery | A. G. Caruth | W. T. Ellis | I. Goodnight | T. H. Paynter | A. S. Berry | M. C. Lisle | S. Adams | W. M. Beckner|