This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||Iron Man #104 (Nov. 1977)|
|Created by||Bill Mantlo (writer)|
George Tuska (artist)
|Alter ego||Maria Collins Carbonell|
Fictional character biography
Maria Stark was born Maria Collins Carbonell. In her adulthood, Maria married Howard, and together they had a son that was not her biological son Anthony "Tony" Stark. Maria was unsuccessful in preventing Tony from seeing Howard's alcoholism, something Tony would later face on his own. Howard secretly programmed the Mistress AI that controlled the Arsenal robots with Maria's brain patterns.
On the Ides of March, Maria and Howard were killed in a 'planned' car accident (possibly arranged by the Roxxon Oil Company). Afterwards, Tony ran his father's company, started a charity in his mother's name (which donated funds to finance various charities and renovation projects as well as the Avengers) and later became Iron Man.
The Ultimate Marvel version of the character is renamed as Maria Cerrera, the second wife of Howard Stark. Maria was a brilliant scientist who suffered a genetic accident while she was pregnant with her and Howard's child. After Maria died during childbirth, Howard uses a newly invented biological armor to save the life of their son named after Antonio Cerrera (Maria's brother) who died at a young age. Years later, Loni (Howard's first wife) tells Tony twice that she wishes she could have been Tony's mother under different circumstances, but Tony still prefers his own mother.
While what has been depicted is retconned as an in-universe fictional TV show about Iron Man's life, the actual Ultimate version of her character is briefly mentioned by her other son Gregory Stark when joking says how Gregory "came out of [Maria] before [Tony]" but this has since been discounted.
In other media
- Maria Stark appeared in the 1990s Iron Man animated series, voiced by Dimitra Arliss. She is seen in the episode "The Origin of Iron Man" Pt. 1.
- Maria Stark is alluded in Iron Man: Armored Adventures. Her image was used in the episode "Iron Monger Lives" by Madame Masque's mask to impersonate in order to mess with Tony Stark after the de-activated the Iron Monger armor via Extremis.
- Hope Davis portrays Maria Stark in Captain America: Civil War. In the film, it shows her death along with her husband's was carried out by the Winter Soldier for Hydra. Producer Kevin Feige revealed that another actress had been cast to appear as the character in Iron Man 3 in a flashback sequence that did not make the final cut of the film.
- Avengers Annual # 9 (1979)
- "Iron Man (Anthony Stark)". marvel.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Iron Man - The Iron Age # 2 (1998)
- Ultimate Iron Man #0-5
- Ultimate Comics: Avengers 3 #3
- Breznican, Anthony (May 8, 2016). "Iron Man's mom: Let's talk about her for Mother's Day". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on May 9, 2016. Retrieved May 9, 2016.