Marinette County, Wisconsin
|Marinette County, Wisconsin|
Marinette County Courthouse, Marinette
Location within the U.S. state of Wisconsin
Wisconsin's location within the U.S.
|• Total||1,550 sq mi (4,014 km2)|
|• Land||1,399 sq mi (3,623 km2)|
|• Water||151 sq mi (391 km2), 9.7%|
|• Density||30/sq mi (10/km2)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC−6/−5|
Marinette County is a county in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. As of the 2010 census, the population was 41,749. Its county seat is Marinette, which now includes the former independent village of Menekaunee as a neighborhood.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,550 square miles (4,000 km2), of which 1,399 square miles (3,620 km2) is land and 151 square miles (390 km2) (9.7%) is water. It is the third-largest county in Wisconsin by land area and fifth-largest by total area. Part of Marinette County borders Lake Michigan, and this area is home to endemic plants.
- Dickinson County, Michigan - north
- Menominee County, Michigan - northeast
- Oconto County - southwest
- Forest County - west
- Florence County - northwest
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 43,384 people, 17,585 households, and 11,834 families residing in the county. The population density was 31 people per square mile (12/km²). There were 26,260 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.08% White, 0.23% Black or African American, 0.50% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 0.69% from two or more races. 0.75% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 37.8% were of German, 11.7% Polish, 6.4% French and 5.6% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 17,585 households out of which 28.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.40% were married couples living together, 7.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.70% were non-families. 28.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.50% under the age of 18, 8.10% from 18 to 24, 25.90% from 25 to 44, 25.00% from 45 to 64, and 17.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.00 males.
In 2017, there were 383 births, giving a general fertility rate of 61.2 births per 1000 women aged 15–44, the 30th lowest rate out of all 72 Wisconsin counties. Additionally, there were 16 reported induced abortions performed on women of Marinette County residence in 2017.
Tourism is important to many of the communities in Marinette County. The county's two main rivers, the Peshtigo and Menominee, and many lakes, streams, and forests make the area an outdoor destination.
Snowmobiling is popular in the winter, and there is a large network of trails to accommodate the sport.
Other unincorporated communities
- Ansul Islands
- Green Island (Wisconsin)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Marinette County, Wisconsin
- USS Marinette County (LST-953)
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Emmet Judziewicz and David Kopitzke (September 1999). "Wisconsin's Lake Michigan Islands Plant Survey-II" (PDF). Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Bureau of Endangered Resources. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Annual Wisconsin Birth and Infant Mortality Report, 2017 P-01161-19 (June 2019): Detailed Tables
- Reported Induced Abortions in Wisconsin, Office of Health Informatics, Division of Public Health, Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Section: Trend Information, 2013-2017, Table 18, pages 17-18
- Leip, David. "Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections". uselectionatlas.org. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Marinette County government website
- Marinette County map from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- Marinette and Menominee Area Chamber of Commerce