Manningham with the 49ers in 2012
|No. 82, 86|
|Born:||May 25, 1986|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school:||Warren G. Harding|
|NFL Draft:||2008 / Round: 3 / Pick: 95|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Mario Cashmere Manningham (born May 25, 1986) is a former American football wide receiver. He was drafted by the New York Giants in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft. After receiving few opportunities in his rookie year, Manningham caught 18 touchdown passes the following three seasons, as well as three postseason touchdowns during the Giants' 2011-12 playoff run. Manningham won Super Bowl XLVI with the Giants against the New England Patriots, in which he caught a crucial 38-yard pass with under four minutes remaining to set up the Giants' game-winning drive, a famous play in Super Bowl lore.
- 1 College career
- 2 Professional career
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
In 2005, as a freshman, Manningham recorded 27 receptions for 433 yards and six touchdowns, including the game-winning catch as time expired in the game against Penn State, handing the Nittany Lions their only loss that season.
Manningham finished 2006 with a total 38 receptions 703 yards and nine touchdowns. He was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week two weeks in a row, first against Notre Dame and then against Wisconsin. During the sixth game of the season against Michigan State, Manningham injured his knee and underwent arthroscopic knee surgery on October 10. Manningham made his first game appearance after the injury as a reserve wide receiver on November 4 against Ball State.
After the 2007 season, Manningham opted to forgo his eligibility for his senior year in 2008 and entered the NFL Draft. He finished his career at Michigan with 137 receptions for 2,310 yards and 27 touchdowns. Those marks placed him ninth, fifth, and fourth, respectively, in school history.
Manningham had reportedly been removed from "multiple teams'" draft boards due to alleged marijuana use in college. Mario denied testing positive initially, then sent a letter to all 32 teams admitting he lied. Manningham claims he failed two drug tests at Michigan.This along with several other problems caused his draft value to drop.
New York Giants
Manningham was selected in the third round (95th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft by the New York Giants. During rookie training camp, Manningham noted that he looked forward to playing with fellow former Michigan Wolverine Amani Toomer. Manningham signed a four-year deal worth up to $2.3 million. Manningham made his first reception on October 5, 2008 in a game against the Seattle Seahawks which the Giants won by a score of 44–6.
Manningham worked on his punt return abilities and competed for the punt returner spot in 2009.
Manningham kicked off the 2009 season by catching three passes for 58 yards and a touchdown en route to the Giants' 23-17 win over the Washington Redskins. He followed this up by catching 10 passes for 150 yards and a juggling sliding catch for a touchdown in the Giants' 33–31 win over the Dallas Cowboys.
In the 2010 season, Manningham appeared in all 16 games of the Giants' 10–6 season. In Week 15, against the Philadelphia Eagles, he recorded eight receptions for 113 yards and two touchdowns in the 38–31 loss. The next week, he followed up with four receptions for 132 yards and a touchdown in a 45–17 loss to the Green Bay Packers. In the Giants' final game of the 2010 regular season, he recorded four receptions for 101 yards and a touchdown in a 17–14 win over the Washington Redskins. On the season, he recorded 60 receptions for 944 yards and nine touchdowns.
In the 2011 regular season, Manningham recorded 39 receptions for 523 yards and four touchdowns. In Weeks 8–10, he recorded a touchdown in three consecutive games.
On February 5, 2012, Manningham made a catch in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVI to set up the win against the New England Patriots. Trailing by 2 points with 3 minutes and 46 seconds remaining, the Giants started the winning drive. Eli Manning lofted a long pass down the left sideline to Manningham, who kept his feet in-bounds by a fraction of an inch with two defenders around him for a gain of 38 yards. The Giants went on to beat the Patriots by a score of 21–17. Manningham ended the game with 5 catches for 73 yards.
San Francisco 49ers
Manningham signed a two-year, $7.375 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers on March 22, 2012.
On September 9, he made his 49ers debut in the season opener against the Green Bay Packers. He had four receptions for 29 yards in the 30–22 victory. On October 7, in Week 5 against the Buffalo Bills, he recorded his first touchdown as a 49er, a 10-yard reception from quarterback Alex Smith.
On December 23, 2012, he tore his ACL and PCL in his left knee against division rival, the Seattle Seahawks, in a game the 49ers lost 42-13. The next day, the 49ers stated that Manningham would be out for the season. Even without Manningham, the 49ers reached Super Bowl XLVII, but lost to the Baltimore Ravens 34–31.
On August 27, 2013, the 49ers placed Manningham on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. Manningham was activated by the 49ers on November 4, 2013 after recovering from the injury sustained against the Seahawks. After seeing limited duty, Manningham was placed on the injured reserve list on December 27, 2013, ending his season. He finished the 2013 season with nine receptions for 85 yards.
New York Giants (second stint)
On March 18, 2014, Manningham signed a one-year contract to return to the New York Giants. After straining his calf in the last preseason game, he was placed on injured reserve and then released by the Giants.
|2013||San Francisco 49ers||6||3||9||85||9.4||14||0||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|2012||San Francisco 49ers||11||9||41||449||11.0||40||1||3||64||21.3||29||0||1||0|
|2011||New York Giants||12||10||39||523||13.4||47T||4||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|2010||New York Giants||16||8||60||944||15.7||92T||9||1||2||2.0||2||0||1||1|
|2009||New York Giants||14||10||57||822||14.4||49||5||-||-||-||-||-||1||1|
|2008||New York Giants||7||0||4||26||6.5||11||0||1||-12||-12.0||-12||0||-||-|
|2011||New York Giants||4||2||13||189||14.5||38||3||0||0||0.0||0||0||0||0|
- "Mario Manningham: His best and worst moments". Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- "Manningham Big Ten Player of the Week - Again". Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- "Manningham faces surgery". Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- "Michigan survives Ball State scare to keep perfect season alive". ESPN. Associated Press. November 4, 2006. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "ESPN Profile: Mario Manningham". Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- Giants select talented but troubled WR Mario Manningham in third round
- Transcript: WR Mario Manningham
- "Seattle Seahawks at New York Giants - October 5th, 2008". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Notes and Quotes tampa bay Assistant Coaches
- "Washington Redskins at New York Giants - September 13th, 2009". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants - December 19th, 2010". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "New York Giants at Green Bay Packers - December 26th, 2010". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "New York Giants at Washington Redskins - January 2nd, 2011". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Mario Manningham 2010 Game Log". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Mario Manningham 2011 Game Log". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Super Bowl XLVI - New York Giants vs. New England Patriots - February 5th, 2012". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- "San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers - September 9th, 2012". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Buffalo Bills at San Francisco 49ers - October 7th, 2012". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks - December 23rd, 2012". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Super Bowl XLVII - San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens - February 3rd, 2013". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Brinson, Will (August 27, 2013). "2013 NFL Roster Cuts: Tracking teams down to 75 Tuesday". CBSSports.com. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "New York Giants' Mario Manningham Had Knee Scoped in January; Vows to Be Back for Camp".
- "Mario Manningham 2013 Game Log". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Giants bring back WR Mario Manningham on a one-year deal". Profootballtalk.com. March 18, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Mario Manningham released by Giants with injury waiver" By Jordan Raanan. NJ.com September 30, 2014 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mario Manningham.|