Strahl in 2017
|Chief Opposition Whip|
|Assumed office |
July 20, 2017
|Preceded by||Gord Brown|
|Official Opposition Critic for Natural Resources|
September 15, 2016 – August 29, 2017
|Preceded by||Candice Bergen|
|Succeeded by||Shannon Stubbs|
|Official Opposition Critic for Fisheries & Oceans|
November 20, 2015 – September 14, 2016
|Preceded by||Robert Chisholm|
|Succeeded by||Todd Doherty|
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
Chilliwack—Fraser Canyon (2011-2015)
|Assumed office |
May 2, 2011
|Preceded by||Chuck Strahl|
|Born||March 26, 1978|
Chilliwack, British Columbia
|Relations||Chuck Strahl (father)|
Deb Strahl (mother)
|Residence||Chilliwack, British Columbia|
Starting as an intern in Ottawa with Opposition Leader Preston Manning, Strahl also worked in the offices of former MP Grant McNally (Dewdney—Alouette) and MP Randy Kamp (Pitt Meadows—Maple Ridge—Mission).
On May 2, 2011, Strahl was elected to the 41st Canadian Parliament as the member of parliament for Chilliwack—Fraser Canyon. He served as a member of the House of Commons Standing Committee on National Defence from 2011 to 2013.
On December 13, 2012, Strahl was named the chair of the B.C./Yukon Conservative Caucus.
On September 20, 2013, Prime Minister Stephen Harper named Strahl as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, a role he fulfilled until August 2015.
In 2015, Strahl was re-elected to the 42nd Canadian Parliament. On February 28, 2019, he introduced private member bill C-436 which sought to make November 1 of every year Acromegaly Awareness Day.
Strahl is the son of former Conservative MP and federal Cabinet Minister Chuck Strahl, who held the same riding (with adjustments) for many years.
|2015 Canadian federal election: Chilliwack—Hope|
|Liberal||Louis De Jaeger||17,114||33.78||+22.60||$60,637.40|
|New Democratic||Seonaigh MacPherson||9,218||18.20||-5.30||$33,220.27|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||50,661||100.00||$204,841.51|
|Total rejected ballots||154||0.30||–|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2011 Canadian federal election: Chilliwack—Fraser Canyon|
|New Democratic||Gwen O'Mahony||12,691||25.78||+7.02|
|Western Block||Clive Edwards||180||0.37||–||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||49,230||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||152||0.31||+0.04|
- Election 2011: Chilliwack—Fraser Canyon. The Globe and Mail.
- "Chilliwack's Strahl gets nod for role in dad's old ministry". Chilliwack Times. September 20, 2013. Retrieved 2015-05-26.
- "Chilliwack-Hope MP, Mark Strahl, introduces his first private members bill in House of Commons". BC Local News. March 9, 2019. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Chilliwack—Hope, 30 September 2015
- Official Voting Results - Chilliwack—Hope
- "Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates". Archived from the original on August 15, 2015.