This article possibly contains original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding inline citations. Statements consisting only of original research should be removed. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Taluk & SRO||Madhavaram|
|Zone & Ward||Manali Zone 2 & Ward 19|
|Elevation||22 m (72 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||TN-18-xxxx & TN-20-xxxx(old)|
|Civic agency||Greater Chennai Corporation|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Madhavaram|
|MP||P. Venugopal, ADMK|
|MLA||Madhavaram S. Sudharsanam, DMK|
|MC||- (Election pending)|
Mathur is a residential area in North Chennai, a metropolitan city in Tamil Nadu, India. In October 2011, the erstwhile Mathur village panchayat is merged with Greater Chennai Corporation and it came under the jurisdiction of Greater Chennai Corporation. Though Mathur is annexed with Greater Chennai Corporation it is still remained as a part of Madhavaram taluk in Chennai district. The entire erstwhile Mathur village panchayat is named as ward 19 in Manali Zone of Greater Chennai Corporation.
According to 2011 census, Mathur had a population of 27,674 with 14,081 males and 13,593 females. A total of 2,980 were under the age of six, constituting 1,607 males and 1,373 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 16.57% and .13% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 80.41%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 6886 households. There were a total of 10,160 workers, comprising 64 cultivators, 97 main agricultural labourers, 79 in house hold industries, 7,871 other workers, 2,049 marginal workers, 24 marginal cultivators, 99 marginal agricultural labourers, 77 marginal workers in household industries and 1,849 other marginal workers. There were a total of 17,514 non workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Mathur had 84.40% Hindus, 6.05% Muslims, 8.72% Christians, 0.17% Sikhs, 0.02% Buddhists, 0.09% Jains, 0.05% following other religions and 0.39% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
Directions From Mathur
- "More areas to come under Chennai Corporation". The Hindu. 30 December 2009. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Expanded Chennai Corporationto be divided into 3 regions". The Hindu. 25 November 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Mathur". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
Areas of Chennai
Neighbourhoods of Chennai
|Special Grade Town Panchayats|
|Places of interest|