|Trade names||Dostalon, Roxilon|
|Synonyms||Dimethazine; Dymethazine; Dimethasterone azine; Di(methasterone) azine; 2α,17α-Dimethyl-5α-androstan-17β-ol-3-one azine|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||633.018 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
Mebolazine (INN; brand names Dostalon and Roxilon; also known as dimethazine, dymethazine, di(methasterone) azine, or 2α,17α-dimethyl-5α-androstan-17β-ol-3-one azine) is a synthetic, orally active androgen/anabolic steroid (AAS) and a 17α-alkylated derivative of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is no longer marketed. It has a unique and unusual chemical structure, being a dimer of methasterone linked at the 3-position of the A-ring by an azine group, and reportedly acts as a prodrug of methasterone.
Since 2008, mebolazine has been used illegally as an ingredient is some dietary supplements, including vitamin B supplements, and in the United States the Food and Drug Administration has taken legal action against such manufacturers.
- J. Elks (14 November 2014). The Dictionary of Drugs: Chemical Data: Chemical Data, Structures and Bibliographies. Springer. pp. 756–. ISBN 978-1-4757-2085-3.
- Geldof L, Tudela E, Lootens L, van Lysebeth J, Meuleman P, Leroux-Roels G, van Eenoo P, Deventer K (2016). "In vitro and in vivo metabolism studies of dimethazine". Biomed. Chromatogr. 30 (8): 1202–9. doi:10.1002/bmc.3668. PMID 26663462.
- Clemens, Roger; Pressman, Peter (2015). "Nutritional and Dietary Supplements: Code or Concern". Preventive Nutrition: 47–62. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-22431-2_3. ISBN 978-3-319-22430-5.
- Rahnema, C. D.; Crosnoe, L. E.; Kim, E. D. (2015). "Designer steroids - over-the-counter supplements and their androgenic component: Review of an increasing problem". Andrology. 3 (2): 150. doi:10.1111/andr.307. PMID 25684733.
- See, for example: "FDA Warns Consumers About Health Risks With Healthy Life Chemistry Dietary Supplement". Food and Drug Administration.
- "Criminal Investigations (2011) Dietary Supplements Manufacturer Sentenced". Department of Justice.