Melbourne Square (complex)
The latest construction snapshot of Melbourne Square
|Location||93–119 Kavanagh Street, Southbank, Victoria, Australia|
|Floor area||364,140 m2 (3,919,600 sq ft) (in 6 towers)|
|Design and construction|
Melbourne Square is a A$2.8 billion building complex of residential, hotel and commercial towers in the Southbank precinct of Melbourne, Victoria. The complex will be constructed in five stages, with an estimated completion in 2027. Stage one of the development commenced construction in November 2017, and it is expected to be completed by August 2020.
The master planned precinct consists of six towers across a 20,260m2 site—four residential buildings (Towers 1 to 4), a hotel (Tower 5), and an office (Tower 6). Tower 1 and 2 will both reach a height of 226 metres (741 feet), with Tower 3 and 4 reaching a height of 175 metres (574 feet). This residential component of the complex will comprise approximately 2,610 apartments amongst the four towers. Tower 5 will include 687 hotel rooms throughout 54 levels, with the tower reaching a height of 180 metres (590 feet). The commercial building, Tower 6, will reach 145 metres (476 feet) and comprise 37 floors. The complex will be built in five stages, with an anticipated completion date in 2027.
Proposed in June 2015 by the Malaysian property developer, OSK Property, designed by the Australian Cox Architects, with interiors by Carr Design Group, Melbourne Square received planning approval by Planning Minister Richard Wynne on 24 December 2015.
The A$2.8 billion complex is expected to become one of the largest development proposals in Victoria's history, encompassing a total 364,140 square metres (3,919,600 square feet) of floor space. In October 2017, Multiplex had been appointed to construct the first stage of the development, which will include the park, as well as two residential towers, and the new retail precinct; construction commenced in November that year, and is scheduled to be completed by August 2020.
- (December 2015). 93-119 Kavanagh Street. Report to the Future Melbourne (Planning) Committee. Retrieved 3 December 2015
- 93-119 Kavanagh Street Complex – The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Retrieved 24 December 2015
- 93-119 Kavanagh Street, Southbank. UrbanMelbourne.info. Retrieved 3 December 2015
- Dow, Aisha. (9 December 2015). "Six skyscrapers for Melbourne Southbank's 'bomb site'". The Age. Retrieved 24 December 2015
- "OSK, EPF’s Melbourne Square project to see first phase done by 2020". The Star Online. 5 October 2017.
- Johanson, Simon. (17 June 2015). "Six more skyscrapers for Southbank under Malaysian developer's plans". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 24 December 2015
- Dow, Aisha. (24 November 2015). "Going up: Another skyscraper for super-dense Southbank block". The Age. Retrieved 24 December 2015
- Schlesinger, Larry and Lenaghan, Nick. (24 December 2015). "Malaysians win approval for $1.5b, six-tower Southbank project". The Australian Financial Review. Retrieved 24 December 2015
- (6 October 2017). "Multiplex Takes On First Stage Of Melbourne Square Project". The Urban Developer. Retrieved 14 November 2017.