Mersin Urban History Museum
Mersin Kent Tarihi Müzesi
Mersin Urban History Museum entrance
|Location||5219 sok. Akdeniz, Mersin, Turkey|
|Website||Mersin Urban History Museum|
Location and the History
The museum is close to the intersection of two main streets in Mersin,[clarification needed] which lies about 450 metres (1,480 ft) from the Mediterranean Sea. It is a restored 150 year-old house with a prominent bay window.
The museum building was restored and opened by Mustafa Erim on 4 September 2010.
Sections in the museum
The exhibits in the museum are the following:
- Atatürk in Mersin: photographs of Atatürk (founder of Turkey) during his visits to Mersin.
- Library about Mersin
- Yümüktepe: photographs and documents about the 9000-yr. old tumulus which is situated within the city borders.
- Education in Mersin: historical documents collected from 70 schools in Mersin
- Castles in Mersin Province: posters and photos of the castles in Mersin Province (see Mersin Archaeology). Although the museum is basically an urban history museum this section includes castles in the greater area.
- Notable Mersin citizens (see Notable People)
- Liberation of Mersin: Opposition to French occupation in Mersin during the Turkish War of Independence
- Mosques and Churches (including inactive ones) in Mersin Province
- Urban History of Mersin (see History)
The museum has also a conference room.