Merton Abbey railway station
Station on an 1895 Ordnance Survey map
|Number of platforms||2|
|Original company||Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway|
|London transport portal|
Merton Abbey was a railway station in Merton on the Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway. It was opened in 1868 and closed on 1 January 1917. It was reopened by the Southern Railway (SR) on 27 August 1923.
When the City & South London Railway (now part of the London Underground's Northern line) was extended from Clapham Common to Morden in 1926, it opened stations at Colliers Wood and South Wimbledon. The new Underground stations captured much of Merton Abbey station's traffic and led to its closure to passengers on 3 March 1929. The station remained open for goods services until 1 May 1972 and goods trains continued to run to a nearby private siding serving the Lines Brothers ("Tri-ang") toy factory until 1975. After closure of the passenger service, the junction at Tooting Junction was removed on 10 March 1934 and the up line from Merton Park on 3 November 1935.
The site of the station lies under a road, the Merantun Way.
- Railway Magazine September 1963 p. 671
- "Subterranea Britannica: SB-Sites: Merton Abbey Station". Subbrit.org.uk. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- closed station marked on 1948 one inch to one mile map
- Disused stations - with more detailed history, map and photos
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Merton Park||Southern Railway
|This London railway station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|