Metropolis (Ancient Greek: Μητρόπολις) was an ancient town in the southern part of Phrygia, belonging to the conventus of Apamea. That this town is different from the more northerly town of the name in northern Phrygia, is quite evident, even independently of the fact that Stephanus of Byzantium mentions two towns of the name of Metropolis in Phrygia, and that Hierocles. and the Notitiae speak of a town of this name in two different provinces of Phrygia. In Roman times, it was assigned to the province of Pisidia, where it became a bishopric. No longer a residential see, it remains, under the name Metropolis in Pisidia, a titular see of the Roman Catholic Church.
Modern scholars locate its site near Tatarlı, Afyonkarahisar Province, Asian Turkey.
- ^ Pliny. Naturalis Historia. 5.29.
- ^ Hierocles. Synecdemus. p. 673.
- ^ Strabo, Geography, XII, viii, 13; XIV, il, 29.
- ^ Livy, History of Rome, 38.15.
- ^ [ http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/d3m12.html Catholic Hierarchy]
- ^ Lund University. Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- ^ Richard Talbert, ed. (2000). Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World. Princeton University Press. p. 62, and directory notes accompanying.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "Metropolis". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.
Coordinates: 38°14′31″N 30°29′41″E / 38.2418471°N 30.4948021°E