Michael David Fortescue
|Born||8 August 1946|
Michael David Fortescue (born 8 August 1946) is a British-born linguist specializing in Arctic and native North American languages, including Kalaallisut, Inuktun, Chukchi and Nitinaht. He gained his PhD in Linguistics from the University of Edinburgh in 1978.
He is professor emeritus of General Linguistics at the University of Copenhagen and chairman of the Linguistic Circle of Copenhagen. His Comparative Eskimo Dictionary, co-authored with Steven Jacobson and Lawrence Kaplan, is the standard work in its area, as is his Comparative Chukotko-Kamchatkan Dictionary. In his book Whiteheadian Linguistics, Fortescue explores the possibilities of a linguistic theory based on the philosophical theories of Alfred North Whitehead.
Selected works by Michael Fortescue
- 1984. Some Problems Concerning the Correlation and Reconstruction of Eskimo and Aleut Mood Markers. Institut for Eskimologi, Københavns Universitet.
- 1990. From the Writings of the Greenlanders: Kalaallit Atuakklaannit. University of Alaska Press.
- 1991. Inuktun: An Introduction to the Language of Qaanaaq, Thule. Institut for eskimologis skriftrække, Københavns Universitet.
- 1992. Editor. Layered Structure and Reference in a Functional Perspective. John Benjamins Publishing Co.
- 1994. With Steven Jacobson and Lawrence Kaplan. Comparative Eskimo Dictionary with Aleut Cognates. Alaska Native Language Center.
- 1998. Language Relations across Bering Strait: Reappraising the Archaeological and Linguistic Evidence. London and New York: Cassell.
- 2001. Pattern and Process: A Whiteheadian Perspective on Linguistics. John Benjamins Publishing Co.
- 2002. The Domain of Language. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press.
- 2005. Comparative Chukotko-Kamchatkan Dictionary. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
- 2007. Comparative Wakashan Dictionary. Munich: LINCOM Europa.
- 2016. Comparative Nivkh Dictionary. Munich: LINCOM Europa.
- M.D., Fortescue, (1978). "Procedural discourse generation model for 'Twenty Questions'".
- "Valete Et Salvete" (PDF). The Abingdonian.
- "Michael Fortescue". Den Store Danske (in Danish). Denstoredanske.dk. 2009-01-30. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Michael David Fortescue – Københavns Universitet". Inss.ku.dk. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Michael David Fortescue – University of Copenhagen". Research.ku.dk. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- Michael David Fortescue, University of Copenhagen
|This article on a Danish linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|