Michigan Pride's logo
|Genre||LGBT pride parade and festival|
|Location(s)||Lansing, Michigan, United States of America|
|Most recent||August 23, 2014|
In 1986, Craig Covey and the Michigan Organization for Human Rights organized the Michigan Organization for Human Rights March, Michigan’s first gay and lesbian march in Detroit. From 1986-1988, the civil rights march took place down Woodward Avenue followed by a rally at Kennedy Square. A party took place at the McGregor Center on the campus of Wayne State University following the rally, organized by a small number of dedicated gay and lesbian groups and volunteers. In 1989, the Gay and Lesbian civil rights march was moved to the more central location of Lansing to attract statewide participation and political awareness as well as to celebrate the 20th anniversary of New York City’s Stonewall Riots.
The event moved from June to August in 2012.
Michigan Pride includes a parade that concludes in front of the Michigan State Capitol, and a festival in Adado Riverfront Park. The event sometimes includes a White Party the night before the parade and festival.
A golf outing has been held annually since 2010.
Notable performers and speakers
- Proxmire, Crystal A. (October 11, 2012). "Michigan Pride Makes Big Move to August". Between The Lines. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "41 Years of Pride". Out Post: 5. June 2013.
- "Motor City Pride: Event History". Equality Michigan. Archived from the original on November 20, 2012. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Michigan Pride 2015". michiganpride.org. Michigan Pride. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "2015 Michigan Pride Festival White Party Performance by Steve Grand". michiganpride.org. Michigan Pride. Archived from the original on July 1, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "2015 6th Annual MI Pride Golf OUTing Pictures". michiganpride.org. Michigan Pride. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Jenkins, Benjamin (May 29, 2012). "Michigan June Pride Season 2012". Between The Lines. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "Michigan Pride Guide Summer 2013". Between The Lines (2119). May 9, 2013. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Michigan Pride. "Michigan Pride Festival". Eventbrite. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Brighe, Mari (September 1, 2014). "PHOTOS: History Made at Michigan Pride, Mark Schauer Shows Support at Rally". Autostraddle. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michigan Pride (Lansing, MI).|