Midland Counties Miners' Federation
|Date dissolved||30 June 2011|
|Head union||Miners' Federation of Great Britain (1889–1944)|
National Union of Mineworkers (1944–2011)
|Affiliation||Miners' Federation of Great Britain|
|Key people||Enoch Edwards (President)|
Albert Stanley (Secretary)
|Office location||Hednesford, Staffordshire|
The union was founded in 1886. It initially had seven affiliates, including the North Stafford Miners' Association, the Old Hill and Highley District Miners, Enginemen and Surfacemen's Association, the Pelsall District Miners, the Shropshire Miners' Association, and the West Bromwich District Miners. It affiliated to the Miners' Federation of Great Britain.
By 1893, the federation's affiliates also included the Bristol Miners' Association, Forest of Dean Miners' Association, Somerset Miners' Association, and Warwickshire Miners' Association. The first three of these accepted reductions in wages which went against federation policy, and therefore left in 1894, recombining as the South-Western Federation.
|Cannock Chase Miners', Enginemen's and Surfacemen's Association||1876||1886||7,500|
|North Stafford Miners' Association||1869||1886||16,709|
|Old Hill and Highley District Miners, Enginemen and Surfacemen's Association||1883||1886||1,116|
|Pelsall District Miners' Association||1887||1887||6,120|
|Shropshire Miners' Association||1886||1886||1,600|
|Warwickshire Miners' Association||1885||1890s||9,000|
|West Bromwich Miners' Association||1869||1886||2,300|
- 1886: Enoch Edwards
- 1912: Samuel Finney
- 1930s: F. J. Hancock
- 1950s: Arthur Baddeley
- 1963: Jack Lally
- 1886: Samuel Henry Whitehouse
- 1888: Benjamin Dean
- 1890: Albert Stanley
- 1915: John Baker?
- 1930s: George Henry Jones
- 1948: J. H. Southall
- 1963: A. M. Jones
- 1983: Jim Colgan
- 1990s: Joe Wills
- Report on Trade Unions in 1905-1907. London: Board of Trade. 1909. p. 121-124.
- Robin Page Arnot, The Miners, vol.1, p.105
- Robin Page Arnot, The Miners, vol.1, p.251
- Robin Page Arnot, The Miners, vol.1, p.224
- Roy Gregory, The Miners and British Politics 1906-1914, p.168
- Robin Page Arnot, The Miners, vol.1, p.298
- Trade Union Certification Officer, "Annual Return for a Trade Union: National Union of Mineworkers (Midlands Area): 2010"
- Report on Trade Unions in 1905-1907. London: Board of Trade. 1909. p. 10-11.
- Gregory, Roy (1968). The Miners and British Politics 1906-1914. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 168. Figure is for 1910.