Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot
Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot
|President of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||25 May 2019|
|Ordination||20 September 1982|
by José María Bueno y Monreal
|Consecration||19 March 2016|
by Pope Francis
|Created cardinal||5 October 2019|
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot|
|Born||17 June 1952|
|Motto||Secundum misericordiam Tuam|
|Coat of arms|
Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot, MCCJ (born 17 June 1952) is a Spanish prelate of the Catholic Church and an historian of Islam. He has been an official of the Roman Curia since 2012 and an archbishop since 2016.
Pope Francis raised him to the rank of cardinal on 5 October 2019.
Miguel Ayuso was born in Seville, Spain, on 17 June 1952. On 2 May 1980, he made his perpetual vows as a member of the Comboni Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus. He was ordained as a priest on 20 September 1982. He earned a licentiate in Arabic and Islamic studies at Rome's Pontifical Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies (PISAI) in 1982. He was a missionary in Egypt and Sudan from 1982 to 2002.
Beginning in 1989, he was professor of Islamic studies first in Khartoum, then in Cairo, and then President of PISAI from 2005 to 2012. He led interreligious discussions in Egypt, Sudan, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Mozambique.
On 20 November 2007, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him a consultant to the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and on 30 June 2012, Benedict named him Secretary of that Council.[a] Benedict named him a special auditor at the Synod of Bishops for the Middle East in 2010.
He served as the Vatican's principal representative in restoring dialogue with Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb of Cairo's Al-Azhar mosque, which were curtailed in 2011. He reported that the parties were focused on "joint initiatives to promote peace", the right to religious education, and the issue of religious freedom, looking to an agreement that establishes "the sacrosanct right to citizenship" for all, no matter their religion. His work culminated in the joint statement, the Declaration on Human Fraternity, issued by the Grand Imam and Pope Francis in February 2019 in Abu Dhabi.
Ayuso Guixot has represented the Holy See as a member of the board of directors of the King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz International Centre for Interreligious and Intercultural Dialogue (KAICIID), a joint initiative of Saudi Arabia, Austria and Spain, since its founding in Vienna in 2012.
On 25 May 2019, Pope Francis appointed him President of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue. Pope Francis named him a member of the Congregation for Oriental Churches on 6 August 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 29.01.2016" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 20.11.2007" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 November 2007. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 30.06.2012" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 30 June 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Boo, Juan Vicente (19 March 2016). "El Papa ordena obispo al misionero e islamólogo Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot" [Pope ordains as bishop the missionary and historian of Islam Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot]. ABC (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 29.03.2014" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 29 March 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Nomine nell'Ambito dell'Assemblea Speciale per il Medio Oriente del Sinodo dei Vescovi, 05.10.2010" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Gagliarducci, Andrea (9 November 2016). "Bishop says peace, justice and education key to dialogue with Islam". Crux. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Glatz, Carol (12 July 2016). "Vatican, Al-Azhar officials look to kick-start talks, cooperation". National Catholic Reporter. Catholic News Service. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Miguel Ayuso: La declaración del Papa e il gran imán abrirá puentes de comunicación entre Iglesia e Islam". Periodista Digital (in Spanish). 7 February 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Dichiarazione del Direttore della Sala Stampa della Santa Sede, P. Federico Lombardi, S.I., sull'Inaugurazione del KAICIID a Vienna (26 NOVEMBRE 2012), 23.11.2012" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 25.05.2019" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 25 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 06.07.2019" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 6 August 2019. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico: Assegnazione dei Titoli, 05.10.2019" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 5 October 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miguel Ayuso Guixot.|