Golic in 2010
|Born:||December 12, 1962|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Cleveland (OH) St. Joseph|
|NFL Draft:||1985 / Round: 10 / Pick: 255|
|Career NFL statistics|
Michael Louis Golic Sr. (//; born December 12, 1962) is a former co-host of ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike, a current co-host of Golic and Wingo, and a former National Football League (NFL) defensive lineman.
He is also an analyst for ESPN and ESPN2's NFL studio programming, as well as for the networks' college football coverage. Golic joined ESPN in 1995 as a reporter/analyst for Sunday NFL Countdown. Since then he has worked as the color commentator for the Arena Football League (1996–98, 2007–present) and the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars pre-season games (1995–98). In 1998, Golic began serving as college football analyst for ESPN and ABC, and was an original analyst for NFL 2Night (now known as NFL Live), the five-night-per-week news and information program on ESPN2.
Early life and playing career
Golic was born and raised in Willowick, Ohio, and attended St. Joseph High School in Cleveland, Ohio. Golic graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1985 as a finance and management major. He served as captain of the football team during his senior season and also wrestled for the Irish.
Golic was drafted by the Houston Oilers selected in the 10th round with the 255th overall pick in the 1985 NFL Draft. He was an eight-year NFL veteran, playing defensive tackle for the Houston Oilers, Philadelphia Eagles and Miami Dolphins.
He played in 115 games (starting 49 games) and 5 playoff games during his 8 seasons in the NFL. He recorded 11.5 sacks and three interceptions in his career. Golic admitted to taking corticosteroids briefly while recovering from an injury.
Life after retirement
During his five years in Philadelphia, he decided to begin his television career with a weekly segment on the Randall Cunningham Show. He received a Mid-Atlantic Region Emmy Award for his feature Golic's Got It.
From January 2, 2000 to November 17, 2017, he hosted Mike & Mike with Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio and ESPN2. Ten days later, he began a show with Trey Wingo named Golic and Wingo, which also featured Mike Jr.
Golic made an appearance on ESPN's mini-series Tilt. He can be seen during the final episode eating a donut at the buffet table. Mike also appeared with Mike Greenberg on the TV series Guiding Light in 2008.
In 2015, Golic was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in the Outstanding American category, designated for those who have used wrestling as a stepping stone to success in other fields.
Golic's older brother, Bob Golic, also played at University of Notre Dame. He earned multiple NFL All-Pro nose tackle honors and is currently a talk radio host Monday through Saturday on WNIR-FM in Akron, Ohio and co-hosts the Cleveland Browns television pre-game and post-game shows on Sundays on CBS affiliate WOIO-TV. Their father, Bob, also played football.
Mike and Bob appeared with their father and their brother Greg on the May 28, 2009 of Mike and Mike in the Morning broadcast from Progressive Field in Cleveland. The three Golic brothers again appeared together on Mike and Mike on May 7, 2010, May 9, 2012, and May 31, 2017 when the show broadcast from Progressive Field. Golic has stated numerous times on Mike and Mike he is a Cleveland Indians and a Cleveland Cavaliers fan.
Golic resides in Avon, Connecticut, with his wife Christine. All three of Golic's children attended Notre Dame. His sons, Mike Jr. and Jake played football (Jake played the 2014–15 season with Cincinnati), while his daughter Sydney was a swimmer for the Irish. Mike Jr. signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft.
In 2010, Golic co-wrote the book Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life with co-host Mike Greenberg.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved April 20, 2007.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Mike Golic, DT at". Nfl.com. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Golic admits to corticosteroid use during national radio show, Yahoo!, November 9, 2007, retrieved November 16, 2007 Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Schultz, Jeff (November 13, 2007), "Dunn does Falcons proud", Atlanta Journal-Constitution, retrieved November 16, 2007
- "Mike Greenburg and Mike Golic to Appear on Guiding Light". TV Fanatic. December 5, 2007. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "National Wrestling Hall of Fame Announces Exceptional Class of 2015". National Wrestling Hall of Fame. June 5, 2015. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- "UC's Golic thrilled to be playing, contributing".
- "Jake Golic Becomes Notre Dame's 1st 2009 Commitment". HULIQ. April 7, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Irish Insights: More From Jake Golic – and Mike Golic Sr". Jgwebblogs.typepad.com. April 5, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Steelers Complete 2013 NFL Draft With Nine Selections". Steelers.com. April 28, 2013. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life: Mike Greenberg, Mike Golic, Andrew Chaikivsky: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- ESPN Radio: Golic & Wingo
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com · Pro-Football-Reference
- Mike Golic on IMDb