Millwall Docks railway station

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Millwall Docks
LocationIsle of Dogs
OwnerLondon and Blackwall Railway
Number of platforms1
Key dates
18 December 1871 (1871-12-18)Opened
4 May 1926 (1926-05-04)Closed
Other information
Underground sign at Westminster.jpg London transport portal

Millwall Docks was a railway station located in the Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs in east London. It was between South Dock and North Greenwich stations on the Millwall Extension Railway (MER) branch of the London and Blackwall Railway (LBR). It opened in December 1871 and was situated on the corner of Glengall Road (now Pepper Street) and East Ferry Road, serving the Millwall Docks (which were later merged into a single dock, rendering the name slightly anachronistic).[1]

Passenger usage of the station was always light, and it closed to services in May 1926, along with the rest of the MER extension, though goods services continued until the demise of the docks in the 1970s. The Docklands area was heavily redeveloped in the 1980s, and most of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) between Island Gardens and South Quay reused the old MER route through the docks. The present-day Crossharbour DLR station is located on the site of Millwall Docks station.[2]


Preceding station   Disused railways   Following station
South Dock
Line and station closed
  Great Eastern Railway
London and Blackwall Railway
  North Greenwich
Line and station closed

Coordinates: 51°29′45″N 0°00′52″W / 51.4959°N 0.0144°W / 51.4959; -0.0144