Millwall Junction railway station

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Millwall Junction
OwnerLondon and Blackwall Railway
Number of platforms3
Key dates
12 December 1871 (1871-12-12)Opened
3 May 1926 (1926-05-03)Closed
Other information
Underground sign at Westminster.jpg London transport portal

Millwall Junction was a railway station in Poplar, east London, on the London and Blackwall Railway (LBR). Despite the name, it was not in Millwall, but rather it marked where the LBR southern branch to Millwall and North Greenwich, which served the West India Docks, branched off the main line. It was between West India Docks station and Poplar station, 2 miles 64 chains (4.5 km) down-line from Fenchurch Street, with South Dock the next stop on the Millwall branch.

Millwall Junction was opened on 12 December 1871, the same time as the LBR's southern branch down to Millwall Docks opened, with three platforms – two on the line to Blackwall and a single one serving the branch line towards North Greenwich. The station was rebuilt in 1888 and remained open until 3 May 1926 when all passenger services on the LBR east of Stepney station (now Limehouse) were withdrawn, and Millwall Junction was closed. Goods services ran through until the 1960s. The station buildings were demolished in 1965 and the platforms removed in 1985 to make way for the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). The DLR's junction east of Poplar now occupies the station site.


Preceding station   Disused railways   Following station
West India Docks
Line and station closed
  Great Eastern Railway
London and Blackwall Railway
Blackwall Branch
Line and station closed
  Great Eastern Railway
London and Blackwall Railway
Millwall Branch
  South Dock
Line and station closed

Coordinates: 51°30′26″N 0°00′46″W / 51.5073°N 0.0128°W / 51.5073; -0.0128