|Initial release||January 24, 2013|
Mineplex is a Minecraft game server officially partnered with Mojang. It was founded on January 24, 2013 by two players under the usernames "Sterling_" and "Spu_". Currently, the server has over 1,000 players playing simultaneously at almost any given time. However, as Mineplex's popularity has been declining, this number used to be around 10,000. The server's record, 34,434 players on January 28, 2015, is the highest in all of Minecraft and was recognized by Guinness World Records in Guinness World Records 2016: Gamer's Edition. The amount of unique log-ins on the server is unknown, although it could be well into the millions as implied by the 500,000+ users on the server's forums.
The server's main feature is its minigames, specially customized and heavily-modded multiplayer maps with different challenges. These minigames provide winnable gameplay mechanics to the sandbox game. They are divided into categories such as Classics, Arcade, Champions, Clans, and Holiday minigames. To pay for the server and its development, Mineplex sells in-game cosmetics and special features to players.
The server was founded on January 24, 2013, making it among some of the oldest Minecraft servers. The server received population booms after YouTube celebrity Captain Sparklez's uploaded videos on the server. In 2016, the Dallas Mavericks partnered with Mineplex to create Dallas Mavericks World, a minigame for the server. According to a news release by the team, it will allow players to compete in building competitions and play a basketball minigame on a full-scale model of the American Airlines Center. The minigame was launched on the server in the summer of 2016. In Guinness World Records 2016: Gamers Edition, Mineplex was listed as the most popular Minecraft server network, having 34,434 players on the server at once on January 28, 2015.
- Ford James (June 11, 2017). "Mojang to partner up with popular Minecraft servers". Gamereactor.
- "BETTER TOGETHER FAQ". minecraft.net.
- "7 Oldest Minecraft Servers". oldest.org. February 22, 2018.
- "The best Minecraft servers". PCGamesN.
- Master Builder 3.0 Advanced: Minecraft Secrets and Strategies from the Game's Greatest Players. Triumph Books, 2015. p. 50. ISBN 9781633191884.
- Guinness World Records 2016: Gamer's Edition. Macmillan. p. 115.
- Wiltshire, Alex (September 15, 2015). "The Future Of Minecraft's Biggest Servers". Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Huntermann, Nina. Now to Play Video Games (illustrated ed.). NYU Press, 2019. p. 280. ISBN 9781479802142.
- Matt Weinberger (May 20, 2016). "Mark Cuban explains why he plays 'Minecraft' with his kids". Business Insider.
- Adam Wermuth (May 18, 2016). "Dallas Mavs Partner With Minecraft Server to Engage a new Generation of Basketball Fans". mavs.com.
- Kurt Schlosser (May 24, 2016). "Mark Cuban calls Minecraft 'intellectually engaging' as his NBA team creates new game with Mineplex". GeekWire.
- Manouk Akopyan (May 1, 2016). "Mark Cuban Explains Why The Mavericks Are Mashing Up With 'Minecraft'". AListDaily.
- David Humphrey (May 19, 2016). "Dallas Mavericks joining computer games world in Minecraft". Fort Worth Star-Telegram.