Minffordd Railway Station
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
The village has two adjacent railway stations, which are served both by Cambrian Line mainline train services and the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway. In 1992 the Ffestiniog Railway built a hostel to house volunteers working on the line.
Nearby are the minor remains of a medieval castle (known variously as Castell Deudraeth, Castell Gwain Goch and Castell Aber Iau). The castle was first recorded by Giraldus Cambrensis (Gerald of Wales) in 1188.
Ysbyty Bron y Garth was built as the Ffestiniog Union Workhouse in 1839 at a cost of £3,200 and was intended to house 150 inmates. In recent years the buildings were used as a community hospital operated by North West Wales NHS Trust. In 2009 the hospital was replaced by Ysbyty Alltwen at Tremadog. Part of the site houses over 400 lesser horseshoe bats.
Minffordd is a thriving Welsh speaking village, where the language is used every day.
- John Dobson and Roy Woods, Ffestiniog Railway Traveller's Guide, Festiniog Railway Company, Porthmadog, 2004
- Cyngor Gwynedd : Meirionnydd Area Committee : 14 January 2008
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minffordd.|
|This Gwynedd location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|