Mississippi Highway 311
MS 311 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDOT|
|Length||12.960 mi (20.857 km)|
|South end||MS 7 in Holly Springs|
|North end||US 72 in Mt. Pleasant|
Mississippi Highway 311 (MS 311) is a state highway located in Marshall County, Mississippi, United States. The route runs 12.960 mi (20.857 km) from MS 7 in Holly Springs north to U.S. Route 72 (US 72) in Mount Pleasant. The route is a two-lane undivided road its entire length and passes through rural areas. MS 311 was designated onto its current alignment in 1957, and was fully paved from a gravel road by the 1960s.
MS 311 begins at an intersection with MS 7 in the northern part of Holly Springs, heading northwest on two-lane undivided Mount Pleasant Road. The route passes through wooded areas with some homes and businesses as it comes to an intersection with the Holly Springs Bypass and makes a left turn to continue to the northwest and leaves the city. Upon leaving Holly Springs, the road continues through forested areas with some farm fields and residences. Farther north, the highway reaches the community of Mount Pleasant. MS 311 passes a few homes and businesses within Mount Pleasant before reaching its northern terminus at the US 72 intersection. At this point, the road continues north as Rossville Road. MS 311 is legally defined in Mississippi Code § 65-3-3.
MS 311 was designated in 1957 for a gravel road connecting Holly Springs to Mt. Pleasant. By 1960, the route was paved except for a small portion halfway between Holly Springs and Mt. Pleasant. In 1965, the remaining portion of MS 311 was paved.
The entire route is in Marshall County.
|Holly Springs||0.000||0.000||MS 7||Southern terminus|
|Mount Pleasant||12.960||20.857||US 72||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "Mississippi Public Roads Selected Statistics" (PDF). Mississippi Department of Transportation. 2008. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Mississippi Department of Transportation (2011). Official Highway Map of Mississippi (PDF) (Map). Jackson: Mississippi Department of Transportation. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Google (June 3, 2010). "overview of Mississippi Highway 311" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved June 3, 2010.
- Mississippi Code Of 1972 As Amended - SEC. 65-3-3. State highways designated., Mississippi Legislature, archived from the original on June 10, 2011, retrieved June 3, 2010
- Mississippi State Highway Commission (1957). Official Road Map State of Mississippi (PDF) (Map). Jackson: Mississippi State Highway Commission. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Mississippi State Highway Commission (1960). Official Road Map State of Mississippi (PDF) (Map). Jackson: Mississippi State Highway Commission. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Mississippi State Highway Commission (1965). Official Road Map State of Mississippi (PDF) (Map). Jackson: Mississippi State Highway Commission. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
Media related to Mississippi Highway 311 at Wikimedia Commons